Matty Longstaff's contract conundrum

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Re: Matty Longstaff's contract conundrum

Post by Bodacious Benny » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:06 pm

When Max Meyer came on today I didn’t really think it was fair that he gets £170,000 a week at Palace for providing virtually zero <roll>
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:08 pm

Sir Bobby wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:57 pm
Bodacious Benny wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:51 pm

I’m not saying he’s greedy, nor that I’m bitter. I’m in the camp that we’ve offered more than fair money for his [lack of] experience to date, if we wants to move somewhere else to get more money then good luck to him.

I would massively disagree with anyone providing a service people enjoy and getting six figures salaries in a lot of cases per week is ‘a fair wage’ tho <laugh>

That’s not unique to footballers tho.
To clarify, I don’t think you have been/sounded bitter, but that people further down that line of thinking often are <gent>

As for fair wages: if they bring in hundreds of millions of pounds of revenue (which they do) then they deserve a representative % of that (which they tend to get). If you want to debate whether entertainment should feature so highly in people’s desires that’s a different story, but the fact is that it does and getting a fair share of the profits is just that: fair.
Same for me, that my broader point wasn't directed at individual people here, including BB.

Agreed. Match tickets aren't what they are because of wages, they're a product of supply and demand. Just as your cable fees won't go down either. It's a multi-billion pound a year industry, and players are getting their share. But that's just it, you can question if the industry is worth the money that's involved in it, but here we are posting thousands of times about a silly sport, so I guess we're all feeding that beast.

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:09 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:06 pm
When Max Meyer came on today I didn’t really think it was fair that he gets £170,000 a week at Palace for providing virtually zero <roll>
Well yes, their assignment of resources to give him so much of their payroll is hilariously bad <laugh>

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:31 pm

Remember Colo wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:09 pm
Bodacious Benny wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:06 pm
Well yes, their assignment of resources to give him so much of their payroll is hilariously bad <laugh>
Even at the time I was thinking what the hell are they doing <laugh>

I know he was on a free, but still <laugh>
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

lassassinblanc
Netherlands (Gini)
Netherlands (Gini)

Post by lassassinblanc » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:00 am

Cal wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 3:05 pm
The Louis Theroux interview with Troy Deeney covers some interesting stuff about player earnings - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p08grz6g
Gave this a listen to today and Yep, this has always been my argument when people give out about footballer wages.

Very well put by Troy
I'll Hazard a guess

lassassinblanc
Netherlands (Gini)
Netherlands (Gini)

Post by lassassinblanc » Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:50 pm

So Matty has been given a take it or leave it offer. Cue the Bruce haters if he doesn't sign it, if he does cue the Bruce haters saying they should have done it sooner.
I'll Hazard a guess

beatski
England (Kane)
England (Kane)

Post by beatski » Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:08 pm

sounds like he's been given a more than reasonable contract offer, at 20k + a 10k bonus if he starts, if rumours are to be believed. Considering he's only played 12 games for the senior team, he's got ideas above his station

ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by ALF » Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:01 pm

Beatski wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:08 pm
sounds like he's been given a more than reasonable contract offer, at 20k + a 10k bonus if he starts, if rumours are to be believed. Considering he's only played 12 games for the senior team, he's got ideas above his station
Why does everyone assume it's about money? It could be contract length or even promises about game time.

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:24 pm

Beatski wrote:
Good deal. Gets a good salary as 'basic' and then has the added impetus to kick on, train hard, play first team and earn more.

Bobby Robson always said that too many young players stopped the effort when they signed the first professional contract and didnt know that this was the point where they had to double the effort.

Now we see what his desire is.

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:12 pm

ALF wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:01 pm
Beatski wrote:
Why does everyone assume it's about money? It could be contract length or even promises about game time.
Because it's easy to blame a young lad you don't know for opportunities they wished they had themselves? <roll>

People talk about how awful the club is run, say no good players should want to play for us, on and on, but then when a player could allegedly receive 50% more money to potentially play more often somewhere else, he's a greedy little bastard. I'm sure the truth of it all is somewhere in the middle of the rumours.

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:38 pm

The jealousy argument is complete bollocks, take the Max Meyer reference above, its seen as ridiculous because the wage doesn't fall in line with productivity, if he or Matty were playing every game and contributing key goals and assists every week we wouldn't even need to debate this as nothing would be said. If anything we would all be arguing for him to get more money to make sure we keep him.

And yes clubs are raking in millions and it's fair players get rewarded for that, the problem though again arises when you look at contribution, has Matty contributed to the same level as ASM, or Dubravka, Hayden, Lascelles? He's had a handful of games and cameo appearances, and is getting a more than fair offer from the club. The players mentioned have done so much more than Matty has to put us in the position of making all this PL money

Valentino's fast feet
Senegal (Aboubakar)
Senegal (Aboubakar)

Post by Valentino's fast feet » Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:55 pm

Didn't Joey Barton say something roughly along the lines of getting mega money early on in his career being a bad thing? On 50k a week at a young age with City. Callum Hudson-Odoi, who clearly has talent, is on something stupid like 120k a week after a similar amount of appearances to MLongstaff. Personally I feel it's a failing on the clubs part, maybe driven by fear of losing a good prospect (asset). I never wanted Bruce personally, and am not a big fan of his tactics. But he's done a decent job with what he's had, and he cracks on. If we get the takeover, I would definitely want to replace him, I don't think that's unfair. If MLongstaff doesn't sign a new deal, then that's not on Bruce, that's on the player and his reps.
Previously CIH/Cabella's Invincible Hair

Toondes
f uck tha police
f uck tha police

Post by Toondes » Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:29 pm

Will anybody apart from the twitter retards actually be bothered if he leaves ? It’s a bit “meh” for me.
# stolen from nufc.com :)

ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by ALF » Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:40 pm

Toondes wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:29 pm
Will anybody apart from the twitter retards actually be bothered if he leaves ? It’s a bit “meh” for me.
It'd be disappointing. Takeover or not I'd always rather see young players break through instead of expensive imports.

Also think he's got a lot of potential but right now he needs to play. Even Sean is finding it tough to get game time although he has impressed recently when we've looked to play an attacking style. Matty is well down the pecking order right now, there's every chance he just wants to leave to play football.

Toondes
f uck tha police
f uck tha police

Post by Toondes » Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:32 am

ALF wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:40 pm
Toondes wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:29 pm
It'd be disappointing. Takeover or not I'd always rather see young players break through instead of expensive imports.

Also think he's got a lot of potential but right now he needs to play. Even Sean is finding it tough to get game time although he has impressed recently when we've looked to play an attacking style. Matty is well down the pecking order right now, there's every chance he just wants to leave to play football.
I think a season long loan would be better for him
# stolen from nufc.com :)

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:04 am

Yeah, I'd say so too. He's still a complete rookie. Look at someone like Mount at Chelsea, I'm not saying that M Longstaff is as good as he is, but his loan at Derby worked wonders for him last season.

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:47 pm

Don Sholeone wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:38 pm
The jealousy argument is complete bollocks, take the Max Meyer reference above, its seen as ridiculous because the wage doesn't fall in line with productivity, if he or Matty were playing every game and contributing key goals and assists every week we wouldn't even need to debate this as nothing would be said. If anything we would all be arguing for him to get more money to make sure we keep him.

And yes clubs are raking in millions and it's fair players get rewarded for that, the problem though again arises when you look at contribution, has Matty contributed to the same level as ASM, or Dubravka, Hayden, Lascelles? He's had a handful of games and cameo appearances, and is getting a more than fair offer from the club. The players mentioned have done so much more than Matty has to put us in the position of making all this PL money
Alright, so my post was a bit flippant and not really about Matty's situation specifically. But when people broadly say that footballers should take less money than what another club is offering and just be grateful they get paid as much as they do, it does speak to how fans think as fans and not put themselves in the shoes of an employee.

Anyway, your very point highlights why it may not even be about the (alleged) 10k difference, but that he's hardly even played this year. So if he's perhaps being promised more opportunities elsewhere, or not receiving the reassurances of his role going forward here (how could he with the takeover looming), that might be better for him. Maybe he wanted to be loaned out for his development this year if he wasn't going to play? Ultimately, we don't know what the club thinks of him, or what he's thought of his last 12 months at the club (and we shouldn't, that's their business), but I think there can always be more to this, especially for young players, than just a money argument.

beatski
England (Kane)
England (Kane)

Post by beatski » Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:55 pm

yeah tbf he needs to take whatever he thinks is the best option for his career, football is a cutthroat business and no one will do him any favours. Likewise the club shouldnt be offering over the odds for him as he's only played a dozen games for us, and risk being stuck with another Ranger

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:04 pm

Beatski wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:55 pm
yeah tbf he needs to take whatever he thinks is the best option for his career, football is a cutthroat business and no one will do him any favours. Likewise the club shouldnt be offering over the odds for him as he's only played a dozen games for us, and risk being stuck with another Ranger
Absolutely! Despite all I've said, he hasn't done enough for me to be too bothered one way or the other. It's important for his career and development that he plays a lot more next year (than he did this), so wherever that is, should definitely be a strong influence of his decision.