Sir Bobby
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Re: Match day thread _ Watford v NUFC

Post by Sir Bobby » Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:54 pm

Don Sholeone wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:33 pm
The evolution of the Bruce hate is hilarious

Beginning of the season = we are only doing well because its Rafas team and Rafas tactics. <grr>

Middle of the season = these tactics are s***, Bruce cant manage. <grr>

End of the Season = OMFG forget the run of form that's seen us to comfortable safety, this loss to Man City would never have happened under Rafa. <grr>

Yup, Bruce is definitely the problem here <whistle>
Good analysis of the hate. The only time I’ve felt Bruce could have been criticised big time was after the Leicester game (and preceding average/poor results). But we then went on a brilliant run and those criticisms were buried. It’s really not hard to admit he’s done well (and better than many expected) but still be of the belief that, should we be taken over, he isn’t automatically the man for the job (and that the pundits claiming he has done a fantastic job are exaggerating). If we don’t get taken over he’s definitely done enough to secure his position for next season.

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:03 pm

It says everything about the fanbase when they are fuming our manager has been nominated for manager of the month. Imagine that eh.

Toondes
f uck tha police
f uck tha police

Post by Toondes » Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:51 pm

Donkey Toon wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:53 pm
Toondes wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:13 pm

It’s pretty rational to be annoyed , frustrated and generally pissed off being served up dross like that is it not ? Surrendered twice to Man City , threw it away against West Ham , villa and today . It seems as though Bruce is now immune to criticism because people feel sorry for him and he seems like a Genuine guy?

Also saying we’ve over performed our position during these six games is a twisted way of looking at it . You could also say we are way below of you look at last 3 games
If you object to me commenting on a six game run of form then why did you quote the stat in your comment? And no matter how you pick apart the individual games, if we had maintained 11th best form all season we would be 11th and not 13th, so it is factually a better than average (for us) string of results.

As for the rest, yes it is rational to not like losing, but it isn't rational to make hyperbolic statements or judgement about players or managers based on one or a short string of results when a season is 38 games long and we should expect to lose games during the course of it. Yet there is never a defeat without at least one comment from somebody losing their s*** over the result. Even entitled Man U and Liverpool fans know they can't win every game and yet our fans can't seem to cope with their mid-table team losing games despite many years of practice and what should be a realistic expectation of losing as many as we win.
I didn’t . I said I’d sack him based on the last month alone. Didn’t mention stats in my argument (or at least I dont think I did ??)
It’s not purely based on this game or the last few . We have been s*** all season imo ( and for
The last 10 years) but it seems to be excepted now as all the pundits are telling us he’s doing a good job . We’ve lost a lot of winnable games this season and I expect we lost/drawn a few from winning positions. My problem is the losing mentality we seem to have. I don’t think Sheffield Utd , Burnley , Southampton have better squads than us and yet all are above us in the league . Maybe it’s an over- reaction but I’m sick of watching this shote week in week out whilst constantly hearing how good bruce is .
# stolen from nufc.com :)

Toondes
f uck tha police
f uck tha police

Post by Toondes » Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:53 pm

Don Sholeone wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:03 pm
It says everything about the fanbase when they are fuming our manager has been nominated for manager of the month. Imagine that eh.
Who’s fuming ? I think Championship level manager at best. And plus , I can say whatever the f*** I want 👍🏻

Toondes
f uck tha police
f uck tha police

Post by Toondes » Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:55 pm

Don Sholeone wrote:

Beginning of the season = we are only doing well because its Rafas team and Rafas tactics. <grr>

End of the Season = OMFG forget the run of form that's seen us to comfortable safety, this loss to Man City would never have happened under Rafa. <grr>

No evolution from me . Didn’t want him then ( or Rafa ) and don’t want him now.

Hjl
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Hjl » Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:10 pm

No one is going to claim Bruce is a world class manager. But with what we have he has managed to do alright. We are certainly more attacking under Bruce than Rafa. He goes for it against relegation teams, Rafa used to sit back against even them.

End of the day there are at least 5 managers in the league that I'd chose Bruce over.

lassassinblanc
Netherlands (Gini)
Netherlands (Gini)

Post by lassassinblanc » Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:45 pm

Bruce gets so much unwarranted abuse

Uproar over taking Gayle off can only imagine the same abuse had he got injured.

Question marks over playing Schar in midfield a position he has played many times before and a position the same moaners wanted him to be played in (I think actually didn't play that badly)

Decision to take off Rose and move Manquillo to left back a position he's done well for us the last few games.

Also all of the above subs probably more down to avoiding injuries rather than tactical
I'll Hazard a guess

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:26 pm

Toondes wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:51 pm
Donkey Toon wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:53 pm

If you object to me commenting on a six game run of form then why did you quote the stat in your comment? And no matter how you pick apart the individual games, if we had maintained 11th best form all season we would be 11th and not 13th, so it is factually a better than average (for us) string of results.

As for the rest, yes it is rational to not like losing, but it isn't rational to make hyperbolic statements or judgement about players or managers based on one or a short string of results when a season is 38 games long and we should expect to lose games during the course of it. Yet there is never a defeat without at least one comment from somebody losing their s*** over the result. Even entitled Man U and Liverpool fans know they can't win every game and yet our fans can't seem to cope with their mid-table team losing games despite many years of practice and what should be a realistic expectation of losing as many as we win.
I didn’t . I said I’d sack him based on the last month alone. Didn’t mention stats in my argument (or at least I dont think I did ??)
A win, a draw, and a cup loss to Man City. And they have the nerve to call us deluded.

Toondes
f uck tha police
f uck tha police

Post by Toondes » Sun Jul 12, 2020 5:28 am

Colly wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:26 pm
Toondes wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:51 pm

A win, a draw, and a cup loss to Man City. And they have the nerve to call us deluded.
Well if you’re happy then fine. I’m not and I don’t like our style of football. Pass it to ASM and if that doesn’t work hoofball. When that doesn’t work sit back and defend and stay really compact.
It should be the uk commentators that are accused of ”sports washing” with the love in for Bruce.

Toondes
f uck tha police
f uck tha police

Post by Toondes » Sun Jul 12, 2020 5:37 am

Hjl wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:10 pm
No one is going to claim Bruce is a world class manager. But with what we have he has managed to do alright. We are certainly more attacking under Bruce than Rafa. He goes for it against relegation teams, Rafa used to sit back against even them.

End of the day there are at least 5 managers in the league that I'd chose Bruce over.
It was the same when when Rafa was here , he was lauded as some kind of saviour and was exempt from criticism for playing the same brand of dire football. Now it seems as though Bruce has qualified for the same status as he’s achieved the remarkable feat of survival.
It’s sad if thats what we are basing on these days.
Players are the same - avoid the drop down tools. They have just had 3 months off and yet can’t be arsed already.

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:44 am

Toondes wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 5:28 am
Colly wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:26 pm

Well if you’re happy then fine. I’m not and I don’t like our style of football. Pass it to ASM and if that doesn’t work hoofball. When that doesn’t work sit back and defend and stay really compact.
It should be the uk commentators that are accused of ”sports washing” with the love in for Bruce.
I didn't say I was happy, but there's an enormous gulf between happy and "he should be sacked for the last month" (while nominated for manager of the month).

Toondes
f uck tha police
f uck tha police

Post by Toondes » Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:03 am

Colly wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:44 am
Toondes wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 5:28 am

I didn't say I was happy, but there's an enormous gulf between happy and "he should be sacked for the last month" (while nominated for manager of the month).
Well I think the performances against city x2 , villa and Watford were piss poor.
Although manager of the month surely is for June ? Won 1-Drawn 1?
All I’m saying is I won’t be too upset when he eventually gets the boot. Surely if you’re not happy with him then you want him sacked ?

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:37 am

2 in June plus the curtailed March so 2 wins and a draw, but 1 win and a draw is still hardly sackable form.

And again there's a huge gap between "this has been a reasonable season, could do better but could be a lot worse, but given it's his first he's done enough to be given a chance" and wanting him sacked. This is the kind of nonsense attitude that saw Bobby Robson sacked.

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:47 am

I lay the blame yesterday 100% on the players - their second half was awful.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Sanchino
http://thesaurus.com/browse/redundant
http://thesaurus.com/browse/redundant

Post by Sanchino » Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:41 am

Sir Bobby wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:54 pm
Don Sholeone wrote:

Good analysis of the hate. The only time I’ve felt Bruce could have been criticised big time was after the Leicester game (and preceding average/poor results). But we then went on a brilliant run and those criticisms were buried. It’s really not hard to admit he’s done well (and better than many expected) but still be of the belief that, should we be taken over, he isn’t automatically the man for the job (and that the pundits claiming he has done a fantastic job are exaggerating). If we don’t get taken over he’s definitely done enough to secure his position for next season.
Well said. <applause>

Toondes
f uck tha police
f uck tha police

Post by Toondes » Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:15 pm

I don’t hate him. I just don’t rate him as a manager.

Hjl
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Hjl » Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:38 pm

Way rather have Bruce than Mourinho right now.

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:20 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:47 am
They were awful in the second half, though given how bad they were playing and how knackered some of them looked (like Schar for good reason), I was pretty shocked he didn't start making changes earlier. It was plain to see the match was getting away from us and I'd wanted that headed off before it was too late.

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:02 pm

Remember Colo wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:20 pm
Bodacious Benny wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:47 am
They were awful in the second half, though given how bad they were playing and how knackered some of them looked (like Schar for good reason), I was pretty shocked he didn't start making changes earlier. It was plain to see the match was getting away from us and I'd wanted that headed off before it was too late.
I’m not sure. We looked fine in the first half then literally from kickoff in the second half it was like a switch had been flipped. That was only Schar’s second start since the restart (I think) so shouldn’t have been tired.

I agree Bruce should’ve changed things sooner but it seemed to me like most of our players thought the game was won at HT.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:23 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:02 pm
Remember Colo wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:20 pm

I’m not sure. We looked fine in the first half then literally from kickoff in the second half it was like a switch had been flipped. That was only Schar’s second start since the restart (I think) so shouldn’t have been tired.

I agree Bruce should’ve changed things sooner but it seemed to me like most of our players thought the game was won at HT.
It's because it was only his second start in months (match fitness), in a position that requires a lot more running than CB, that I thought it was understandable that he was tired. I completely agree the players suddenly looked awful in the second half, because it was plain for everyone to see, so it seemed he was too patient to change things.