England Thread - England vs Wales - 8/10 20:00 (ITV)

ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Re: England Squad Announced

Post by ALF » Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:02 pm

biggeordiedave wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:29 am
From Birmingham Mail:
England manager Gareth Southgate has explained why he left Aston Villa star Jack Grealish out of his 24-man squad, and said: "With Jack, the simple answer is Mason Greenwood."

Villa's captain has learned he's now SIXTH choice behind United duo Greenwood and Marcus Rashford, Dortmund ace Jadon Sancho and City pair Raheem Sterling and Phil Foden.

The 24-year-old's latest snub mirrors the previous England squad back in November 2019, with Southgate detailing once again how he sees Villa's main man as a wide player or a No.10 - and not a midfielder.

"I know Villa have played him as an eight," he added, "I don’t see him in that role for us. He could play as a 10 but we haven’t played with a 10. But, also, some of those other players I’ve talked about would be very good 10s as well.

"He’s a talent, there’s no doubt about that. But I think Mason Greenwood’s performances… the others have been with us for a long time and have produced and performed well for us. Mason’s form, his goal scoring ability and his maturity was impossible to leave him out.

"You’re cautious at times to put a young player in too early and we’ve looked at Phil for a long time and thought is now the right time?

"But I think we’re four get togethers away from a European Championship and we felt now it’s important to involve Mason and Phil with us, let’s see how they adapt, we think they’re good enough. They’re going to provide massive competition for places."

As for Southgate, the uproar following his stunning Grealish omission was simply deafening, with supporters and pundits far and wide in total shock at the selection - especially given the fact the Three Lions coach picked Leeds' Kalvin Phillips and, prior to his guilty verdict, Harry Maguire.

"Jack is unfortunate," Southgate added, clearly irked by the Grealish question, "and I’ll be getting crucified by the Villa fans who’ve still never forgiven me for leaving for Middlesbrough anyway, but c’est la vie. I did pick Tyrone Mings so it’s not a club thing."
It's weak reasoning but then I suppose he can't really say 'he's too much of a diving shithouse, we're trying to play good football and he constantly breaks up play'.

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:58 am

“Stunning omission” might be pushing it a bit <laugh>

I’d say slightly surprising.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

biggeordiedave
Living in his head rent free

Post by biggeordiedave » Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:35 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:58 am
“Stunning omission” might be pushing it a bit <laugh>

I’d say slightly surprising.
Agreed. I was expecting him to be picked, but then with Southgate's comments about where he would play him and the other players he has in that position, then it makes perfect sense not to pick him. Villa fans go on like he's the best player in the country.
Kindly deeds done for free!

biggeordiedave

Post by biggeordiedave » Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:44 pm

Grealish is now in the squad with Coady and Maitland-Niles after Winks and Rashford pull out.

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:43 am

Not exactly sure why Winks got a call up in the first place, other than because he plays for Spurs.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by ALF » Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:30 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:43 am
Not exactly sure why Winks got a call up in the first place, other than because he plays for Spurs.
Very good player in a possession based team.

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:35 pm

Been through all the age group teams too which means a lot to Southgate, rightly so in my view.

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:15 pm

ALF wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:30 pm
Bodacious Benny wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:43 am
I know there are some players who are good without every really standing out and you appreciate them much more when you see them live in the flesh, but I still think he’s average personally. Probably benefits for England having poor options in Cm too.

ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by ALF » Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:07 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:15 pm
ALF wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:30 pm

I know there are some players who are good without every really standing out and you appreciate them much more when you see them live in the flesh, but I still think he’s average personally. Probably benefits for England having poor options in Cm too.
I think as a deep lying midfielder he is great. He'll never score loads or get loads of assists but he's always available to receive the ball from the CB's and move it on to creative players.

UlversToon
Argentina (Messi)
Argentina (Messi)

Post by UlversToon » Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:58 pm

Foden & Greenwood both sent home for breaching quarantine rules apparently.

biggeordiedave

Post by biggeordiedave » Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:45 pm

UlversToon wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:58 pm
Bringing girls back to the hotel room apparently! How f***ing thick can you get?

Blue & Maroon
France (Benzema)
France (Benzema)

Post by Blue & Maroon » Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:43 pm

UlversToon wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:58 pm
Shitbags

krully
Germany (Müller)
Germany (Müller)

Post by krully » Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:50 pm

Foden is a very naughty boy, has a kid and wife apparently

biggeordiedave

Post by biggeordiedave » Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:52 pm

I love that Southgate very deliberately referred to them as "boys" in his press conference <laugh> I will never understand players doing this sort of stuff, especially Greenwood who had just received his first call up and was singled out by Southgate as being a player that had to be in the squad. Just play the f***ing game and follow the rules.

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:32 pm

Not the first athletes punished for similar behaviour lately either. A Seattle Seahawks rookie got released upon him sneaking a woman in (badly disguised in Seahawks gear). Wrecked his career before it even started.

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:00 pm

Czech Republic have created a brand new 24 player squad to play Scotland tonight.

Watch Scotland screw this up!

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:20 pm

It just baffles me, these lads are absolutely loaded and can have their pick of a whole sea of women, so why the f*** are they so desperate to get laid? Can they not go 1 pissing week without dippin their wick.

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:01 pm

overseasTOON wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:00 pm
Czech Republic have created a brand new 24 player squad to play Scotland tonight.

Watch Scotland screw this up!
Ah for fucks sake!

This is why we can't have nice things Scotland.

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:26 pm

biggeordiedave wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:52 pm
I love that Southgate very deliberately referred to them as "boys" in his press conference <laugh> I will never understand players doing this sort of stuff, especially Greenwood who had just received his first call up and was singled out by Southgate as being a player that had to be in the squad. Just play the f***ing game and follow the rules.
Some players really are absolutely brain dead. But lots of ‘normal’ 18 to twenty something men are so suppose why would footballers be any different.

biggeordiedave

Post by biggeordiedave » Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:49 am

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:26 pm
biggeordiedave wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:52 pm
Some players really are absolutely brain dead. But lots of ‘normal’ 18 to twenty something men are so suppose why would footballers be any different.
I'll admit that if I was earning their money at that age then I would have made some absolutely terrible choices <laugh>