Bruce

Slim999
Shelvey's Precious

Bruce

Post by Slim999 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:52 pm

Now I feel I understand better why SB has never managed at the sharp end.

Miggy was razor sharp when he first arrived with a blizzard of assists. But no goals....

Then the no goals criticism started to tell and his form dipped.

Then the goals came- Goals and assists. Back to his best - and in my view our best player on a week to week basis.

So new season starts - and SB leaves him out vs hammers ( "because we needed more physicality ")

Then he leaves him out home to Brighton (??)

I don't understand how somebody with a supposed knowledge of football could make that decision..

Very strange
Last edited by Slim999 on Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Re: Bruce

Post by Colly » Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:14 pm

Miggy was wonderfully hardworking when he arrived but razor sharp feels a massive stretch. Good player but still needs to up the productivity and while he nabbed a couple post lockdown he certainly isn't undroppable. The tactics worked against West Ham and clearly didn't against Brighton, but I really don't think leaving out Almiron was the biggest issue.

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:42 am

Yeah, no way was he razor sharp when he arrived.

Always works hard, can't fault him at all for that. End product still needs work, but talent is there.

As for Bruce, this will without doubt be his last PL job. Unless whenever he's no longer our manager that he gets a Championship job and gets them promoted. But the PL has moved away from giving the old school manages such as Bruce, Hughes, Pardew, Pulis etc. managerial jobs as football has changed and they're a product of the past.

I do think Bruce did very well last season under very difficult circumstances (following Rafa, fans underwhelmed and angry) and to keep us up by 10 points far exceeded what I expected of him. But he's never going to do anything innovative or really help develop players. He'll have one or two variations on how to set the team up and tactics, but it's never really going to stray from that. Too many teams with better coaches can figure it out and play against us with ease, as Brighton did last week. They said on Sunday that Brighton tracked Potter for 5 years before appointing him, our leadership doesn't even think 5 minutes ahead. Look at how Brighton have developed their training ground etc. too to think about the future. We're miles off that infrastructure.

I think we'll stay up this season but it won't be pretty. We'll get the odd good win but other wins will be grinding out 1-0s (as we did a lot with Rafa) and lots of draws, and lots of thumpings too.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

krully
Germany (Müller)
Germany (Müller)

Post by krully » Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:48 pm

He's clueless and inept, following a few sticky notes Rafa left behind

biggeordiedave
Living in his head rent free

Post by biggeordiedave » Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:00 pm

Slim999 wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:52 pm
Miggy was razor sharp when he first arrived with a blizzard of assists. But no goals....
No assists either. I might be wrong, but his first assist in the league was in the 2-2 against City.

Edit: I'm not wrong.
Kindly deeds done for free!

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:10 pm

So the blizzard was less blizzard, more storm in a tea cup <laugh>
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by ALF » Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:32 pm

Miggy is too good for most of the players around him at the moment. You see when he's come on in each of the games that he goes looking for the ball, picks up some really good pockets of space between the lines and when he gets the ball everyone is just static and looking at him.

Cal
Denmark (Kasper)
Denmark (Kasper)

Post by Cal » Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:19 pm

I thought Bruce was just trying a bit of rotation - two mostly different 11s while we have two games a week. The cup team is a bit weaker, but still (hopefully...) has enough quality players to cause damage, as Almíron did.

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:23 pm

Lets be real we are playing games every 3 days near enough, if Bruce wasn't rotating the team he would be getting slaughtered. Yes he has his faults but it just feels like a damned if he does, damned if he doesn't situation.

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:27 pm

I’m lost, who says we shouldn’t be rotating for cup games?

Sanchino
http://thesaurus.com/browse/redundant
http://thesaurus.com/browse/redundant

Post by Sanchino » Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:10 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:42 am
Yeah, no way was he razor sharp when he arrived.

Always works hard, can't fault him at all for that. End product still needs work, but talent is there.

As for Bruce, this will without doubt be his last PL job. Unless whenever he's no longer our manager that he gets a Championship job and gets them promoted. But the PL has moved away from giving the old school manages such as Bruce, Hughes, Pardew, Pulis etc. managerial jobs as football has changed and they're a product of the past.

I do think Bruce did very well last season under very difficult circumstances (following Rafa, fans underwhelmed and angry) and to keep us up by 10 points far exceeded what I expected of him. But he's never going to do anything innovative or really help develop players. He'll have one or two variations on how to set the team up and tactics, but it's never really going to stray from that. Too many teams with better coaches can figure it out and play against us with ease, as Brighton did last week. They said on Sunday that Brighton tracked Potter for 5 years before appointing him, our leadership doesn't even think 5 minutes ahead. Look at how Brighton have developed their training ground etc. too to think about the future. We're miles off that infrastructure.

I think we'll stay up this season but it won't be pretty. We'll get the odd good win but other wins will be grinding out 1-0s (as we did a lot with Rafa) and lots of draws, and lots of thumpings too.
Sums up my feelings perfectly. <applause>

Next manager has to be someone new, fresh, innovative, good at developing the youth, not scared to try different tactics/formations, expansive / attractive style of football, attacking, good man management, continental and relatively experienced but doesn't have to be. Would anyone take Eddie Howe? I mean Pochetineo would be perfect for us but he definitely isn't coming anytime soon.. imagine him working under Ashley <laugh>

biggeordiedave

Post by biggeordiedave » Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:22 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:10 pm
Light drizzle. I think he only actually has 4 assists for us in total which is quite s*** for a player in his position <laugh>. Thankfully he adds a lot to the team going forward.

biggeordiedave

Post by biggeordiedave » Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:49 pm

Almiron has just got an assist <laugh>

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:58 pm

biggeordiedave wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:22 pm
Bodacious Benny wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:10 pm
Light drizzle. I think he only actually has 4 assists for us in total which is quite s*** for a player in his position <laugh>. Thankfully he adds a lot to the team going forward.
And backwards.

beatski
England (Kane)
England (Kane)

Post by beatski » Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:05 pm

Colly wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:58 pm
biggeordiedave wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:22 pm

And backwards.
The club was already great at going backwards without him tbf.