Matchday Thread: Spurs v Newcastle

Cal
Denmark (Kasper)
Denmark (Kasper)

Re: Matchday Thread: Spurs v Newcastle

Post by Cal » Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:57 pm

At this rate it'll only take us another 11.5 halves to deserve a goal according to our lord and saviour xG <awe>

Crouching Shola Hidden Talent
Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder

Post by Crouching Shola Hidden Talent » Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:59 pm

It genuinely makes me wonder whether any of the pundits who w*** themselves into oblivion over the 'amazing' job Bruce is doing actually watch our games.

Good to see our XG has crept up to a steady 0.08 though #attackingthreat
There is no sin except stupidity.

Sanchino
http://thesaurus.com/browse/redundant
http://thesaurus.com/browse/redundant

Post by Sanchino » Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:00 pm

Uncle Paul wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:49 pm
Captain Obvious wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:48 pm
Embarrassing to watch this. There is no plan. Bruce has just picked 11 players and said 'go play ball, lads'
More like ‘ go out there lads and just keep them from scoring too many’
This. With Bruce we won't achieve anything more than relegation scraps and at best mid-table mediocrity. I thought these signings would make a change to our playing style.. but still the same old ''push back negative defensive shield.. hoof it up to a isolated Wilson to try run in behind and snatch a goal''.. this is truly terrible. A innovative and modern manager would play to our strengths and see that we don't need to play this negative style of hopeless long balls, unorganized pattern of plays and no control/intensity in the middle. Where's Fraser? Why is he not even on the bench? Get Shelvey off for Murphy.. push Miggy / Joelinton closer to Wilson and put Hayden in with Hendrick in them middle. Maybe Carroll for Joelinton later on as plan b.. but I seriously don't see us scoring with this 5-4-1 formation.. <urgh>

UlversToon
Argentina (Messi)
Argentina (Messi)

Post by UlversToon » Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:00 pm

I didn't think it was possible but we're actually worse than we were last season. <neg>

The Deluded Pablo Diego Jose Francisco
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by The Deluded Pablo Diego Jose Francisco » Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:04 pm

Sanchino wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:00 pm
Uncle Paul wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:49 pm

More like ‘ go out there lads and just keep them from scoring too many’
This. With Bruce we won't achieve anything more than relegation scraps and at best mid-table mediocrity. I thought these signings would make a change to our playing style.. but still the same old ''push back negative defensive shield.. hoof it up to a isolated Wilson to try run in behind and snatch a goal''.. this is truly terrible. A innovative and modern manager would play to our strengths and see that we don't need to play this negative style of hopeless long balls, unorganized pattern of plays and no control/intensity in the middle. Where's Fraser? Why is he not even on the bench? Get Shelvey off for Murphy.. push Miggy / Joelinton closer to Wilson and put Hayden in with Hendrick in them middle. Maybe Carroll for Joelinton later on as plan b.. but I seriously don't see us scoring with this 5-4-1 formation.. <urgh>
I don't see how you would think that they would change our playing style <scratch>

Its not like any of them are technical players that can retain possession and control the game, apart from Wilson and Lewis who are upgrades on what we had (but thats not saying much) the rest are no better than what we already have.

Hjl
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Hjl » Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:06 pm

UlversToon wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:00 pm
I didn't think it was possible but we're actually worse than we were last season. <neg>
The squad are missing the fear of being replaced by Colback.

Cal
Denmark (Kasper)
Denmark (Kasper)

Post by Cal » Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:07 pm

The old "we've got the ball in their third, so let's play it back to our keeper so we can lose possession" routine <awe>

Hjl
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Hjl » Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:09 pm

That handball shout was the closest we have come to a shot on target

HowayTheLads
Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder

Post by HowayTheLads » Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:10 pm

Speedo wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:57 pm
I think I’d pull Shelvey off, put on Jamal Lewis. Push Hayden into the midfield (he’s a liability at CB), Lewis at LB, Ritchie pushed forward to LW.
Darlow
Manquillo Lascelles Fernandez Lewis
Hayden Hendrick
Joelinton Almiron Ritchie
Wilson
Then at least we’ve got proper defenders and DMs who are mobile. Takes a risk and would require Manquillo and Lewis to be disciplined full backs (ie not attacking too much) but would liberate Ritchie and the front players a bit.

Shelvey is just not doing enough in the middle of the pitch.
<perv>

Sir Bobby
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Sir Bobby » Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:11 pm

Cal wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:57 pm

At this rate it'll only take us another 11.5 halves to deserve a goal according to our lord and saviour xG <awe>
Think we had the exact same XG first half last week. I know it’s not the ultimate stat but XG of under 0.1 for two first halves in a row is atrocious.

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:14 pm

Its still all to play for. At present, Spurs have been lulled into a false sense of security and replaced Son.

Bruce likely bollocked Joelinton for prematurely showing his flair but we've got Jose on the ropes and one of our defenders will step up and score the equaliser with Wilson scoring the winner in the 98th minute.

Captain Obvious
Drunk Control
Drunk Control

Post by Captain Obvious » Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:16 pm

We're trying to play Rafa 3 at the back but to do that you need ball playing CBs and to drop Jonjo for someone who just runs and runs.

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:21 pm

Donkey Toon wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:26 pm
Wtf was Ritchie doing trying to let the ball run past him. Defending 101 you defend the way you are facing. f***ing abysmal.
Late to the thread, but that was my thinking. He's not a LB, and I've never understood people when talking about the squad counting him as one. And Hayden's not CB either. I keep hearing we have depth in these positions and yet at least two players are out of position and it's only matchweek 3. None of this has even touched on the fact it's another week that highlights our CM isn't good enough - as it hasn't been for like 6 years (I'll keep beating that dead horse).

The Deluded Pablo Diego Jose Francisco
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by The Deluded Pablo Diego Jose Francisco » Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:23 pm

Remember Colo wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:21 pm
Donkey Toon wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:26 pm
Wtf was Ritchie doing trying to let the ball run past him. Defending 101 you defend the way you are facing. f***ing abysmal.
Late to the thread, but that was my thinking. He's not a LB, and I've never understood people when talking about the squad counting him as one. And Hayden's not CB either. I keep hearing we have depth in these positions and yet at least two players are out of position and it's only matchweek 3. None of this has even touched on the fact it's another week that highlights our CM isn't good enough - as it hasn't been for like 6 years (I'll keep beating that dead horse).
<applause> <applause> <applause> <applause> <applause> <applause> <applause> <applause> <applause>

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:24 pm

Cal wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:07 pm
The old "we've got the ball in their third, so let's play it back to our keeper so we can lose possession" routine <awe>
There's maybe nothing in football that annoys me more than cowardly players afraid of being the one to give a ball away playing it forward so they keep passing it backwards until the keeper is the one to inevitably loose possession more aimlessly hoofing it in the same direction they could have crossed it earlier.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:26 pm

Well I’ve been napping for the past half hour or so <awe>
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:28 pm

Release the Longstaff and Get Shelvey on the first tube back to Kings Cross.

Cal
Denmark (Kasper)
Denmark (Kasper)

Post by Cal » Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:32 pm

I've only half been paying attention to this half, apart from Ritchie's injury have we made any changes to at least try and get back into the game? Or is all faith still in the masterplan of not defending very well while having zero attacking threat?

Cal
Denmark (Kasper)
Denmark (Kasper)

Post by Cal » Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:38 pm

"Newcastle throwing everything at it now with Joelinton, Carroll, and Murphy all on the pitch"

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:39 pm

Nice theatrics Andy.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?