Killing the game
63%

Total votes: 16

Cal
Denmark (Kasper)
Denmark (Kasper)

VAR and the latest handball rules

Post by Cal » Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:56 pm

Best thing to ever happen, or killing the game?

I like how football has devolved into a weird gameshow now.

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Re: VAR and the latest handball rules

Post by overseasTOON » Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:59 pm

f*** defenders. 1 GK and 10 strikers is the future.

Cal
Denmark (Kasper)
Denmark (Kasper)

Post by Cal » Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:01 pm

I think Bruce was on to something with this hoofball idea. We can just play a modified version of dodgeball by getting their defenders somewhere near their box and wellying it at them. Shots from open play are overrated.

Maybe we should add pockets to the shorts and force players to keep their hands in their pockets at all times now.

ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by ALF » Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:30 pm

This is like 2 questions. VAR is great but the rules are all over the place. No logic to them.

Donkey Toon
Croatia (Modric)
Croatia (Modric)

Post by Donkey Toon » Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:48 pm

I like VAR in principal, although there are issues with its implementation. Such as the new handball rules which are a festering pile of **** and another step in the ruination of the game.

TJR
Mexico (Jiménez)
Mexico (Jiménez)

Post by TJR » Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:23 pm

ALF wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:30 pm
This is like 2 questions. VAR is great but the rules are all over the place. No logic to them.
This.

VAR is great but the new handball rule is a joke.

Speedo
Not at 66-1, f*** that.
Not at 66-1, f*** that.

Post by Speedo » Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:24 pm

I mean I wouldn’t go as far as ruining the game. But the new rule is s****.
I had the first custom w***

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:25 pm

Im actually a fan of this change to the handball rule, one thing I found annoying last season was how the attacking team were punished for "accidental" handball, the slightest brush of the ball was enough to disallow a goal, yet when the same was happening with defenders it was never given as handball, for me given the context of last seasons change this actually balances out the rule and makes it more consistent than last season.

I think it will take a season to get used to but I think in the long run its going to increase consistency in handball decisions, its lessened he need for interpretation, which imo was the main cause of the inconsistency.

Chappy
10 Champs Silver
10 Champs Silver

Post by Chappy » Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:28 pm

ALF wrote:
This. More clarity needed on the rules and officials need to be all on the same page or f*** VAR off altogether.
It’s the noise, the passion, the feeling of belonging, the pride in your city.

Cal
Denmark (Kasper)
Denmark (Kasper)

Post by Cal » Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:32 pm

ALF wrote:
I'd argue that the current VAR implementation emphasises any flaws in the rules; if there wasn't VAR in combination with this handball rule I doubt we'd have anywhere near as many penalties being given for it. Teams can actively play to this when even a glancing touch by the defender has a chance of being penalised on review.

Sir Bobby
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Sir Bobby » Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:01 pm

VAR = good :)
Handball = bad :(

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:45 pm

Mark one down for Wilson <laugh>

Valentino's fast feet
Senegal (Aboubakar)
Senegal (Aboubakar)

Post by Valentino's fast feet » Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:47 pm

Don Sholeone wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:45 pm

You can actually see the point where his media training kicks in <laugh>
Previously CIH/Cabella's Invincible Hair

Hjl
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Hjl » Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:00 am

CIH wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:47 pm
Don Sholeone wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:45 pm

You can actually see the point where his media training kicks in <laugh>
Haha I saw that too.

Oh wait, I'm on tv...

lassassinblanc
Netherlands (Gini)
Netherlands (Gini)

Post by lassassinblanc » Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:15 am

Tbh I think this is being blown out of proportion a little .

In terms of VAR I've heard a lot about Oh it is ruining the game etc etc. NO it is NOT it is making things fairer and making sure the rules are followed, we don't use it in Norway but there is a lot of calls for it to be implemented.

In terms of the handball rule I'll admit it's a bit crazy but you can't blame the referee or VAR for the decision they're only following protocol.

I seen Jenas's comments this morning about how Oh it is ruining the PL, we should have our own rules.

What a **** is all I will say, the rules of the game at an elite level should be the same regardless of the country (I revert back to my point about Norway and calls for it to be used).
I'll Hazard a guess

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:39 am

lassassinblanc wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:15 am
Tbh I think this is being blown out of proportion a little .

In terms of VAR I've heard a lot about Oh it is ruining the game etc etc. NO it is NOT it is making things fairer and making sure the rules are followed, we don't use it in Norway but there is a lot of calls for it to be implemented.

In terms of the handball rule I'll admit it's a bit crazy but you can't blame the referee or VAR for the decision they're only following protocol.

I seen Jenas's comments this morning about how Oh it is ruining the PL, we should have our own rules.

What a **** is all I will say, the rules of the game at an elite level should be the same regardless of the country (I revert back to my point about Norway and calls for it to be used).
Agreed.

Refs/VAR cannot be blamed, as I said yesterday the rules as they are are being consistently applied (as they should be).

Jenas and other pundits were moaning last season that the PL was out of sync with other European leagues rules, use of VAR etc. and now he wants to go back the other way <laugh>
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:20 am

Is it that clear cut though? Doesn't it make sense to want the good things done elsewhere but not the s*** ones? Using the monitors is sensible so of course we should have adopted it, even if our ref last week watching Lewis get Superkicked in the face about 28 times before deciding on a red was a bit farcical...

The interesting thing here is that the handball rule hasn't actually changed, only the interpretation of it, and I think that's enough leeway for the league, clubs, and referees to tweak it slightly. I for one don't want the ludicrous number of handball penalties we've seen elsewhere in Europe over here. It's not as if it's unprecedented either, think about how many times referees have started seasons punishing holding in the box with penalties to try to send a message then eased off three weeks in.

One very good point Jenas made was that when English clubs played in Europe they'd always slightly adjust their game anyway as the Premier League was more physical and refs would give more leeway on fouls. This wouldn't be any different to that, and if anything given defenders can't do much about it anyway (again, see the numbers of pens in Spain and Germany) it actually wouldn't even make any difference to behaviour in this case when playing overseas.

lassassinblanc
Netherlands (Gini)
Netherlands (Gini)

Post by lassassinblanc » Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:31 am

I think it comes down to the fact (and i apologise if this offends) a very English arrogance towards football, There seems to be this feeling and I've heard it spoken about many times that the English (FA) and the Premier League think they can do what they want because they invented the game.

This is one of the main reasons why England failed miserably when trying to get the World Cup
I'll Hazard a guess

lassassinblanc
Netherlands (Gini)
Netherlands (Gini)

Post by lassassinblanc » Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:37 am

Colly wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:20 am
Is it that clear cut though? Doesn't it make sense to want the good things done elsewhere but not the s*** ones? Using the monitors is sensible so of course we should have adopted it, even if our ref last week watching Lewis get Superkicked in the face about 28 times before deciding on a red was a bit farcical...

The interesting thing here is that the handball rule hasn't actually changed, only the interpretation of it, and I think that's enough leeway for the league, clubs, and referees to tweak it slightly. I for one don't want the ludicrous number of handball penalties we've seen elsewhere in Europe over here. It's not as if it's unprecedented either, think about how many times referees have started seasons punishing holding in the box with penalties to try to send a message then eased off three weeks in.

One very good point Jenas made was that when English clubs played in Europe they'd always slightly adjust their game anyway as the Premier League was more physical and refs would give more leeway on fouls. This wouldn't be any different to that, and if anything given defenders can't do much about it anyway (again, see the numbers of pens in Spain and Germany) it actually wouldn't even make any difference to behaviour in this case when playing overseas.
By the letter of the law yes.

The ball hit the extended arm of Dier. The Ref didn't call it at the time so he missed it which was an error VAR looked at it and recommended he look at it.

And as you say the handball rule hasn't changed it's just that the PL has now adopted the rules which have been in place for the last 2 years.
I'll Hazard a guess

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:06 am

That wasn't what I was asking, I was referring to the below:

"Jenas and other pundits were moaning last season that the PL was out of sync with other European leagues rules, use of VAR etc. and now he wants to go back the other way <laugh>"

In the sense that I don't think wanting to adopt good practice but not bad practice is a particularly laughable.

The PL hasn't just adopted the rules, that was done years ago, it's just this season adopted the interpretation of said rules which is what the fuss is all about.