Senegal (Aboubakar)
Senegal (Aboubakar)

Re: Match day thread: Newcastle v Man U

Post by Valentino's fast feet » Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:59 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:55 pm
Donkey Toon wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:53 pm
Missed the third grabbing myself another bourbon.
What you drinking? I opened a new bottle of sazerac rye recently and had forgotten how good it was.
I read that as biscuits at first <laugh>
Previously CIH/Cabella's Invincible Hair

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:00 pm

Turned off at 1-2.

1-4?

Bruce can just f*** off.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:00 pm

CIH wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:59 pm
Bodacious Benny wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:55 pm

What you drinking? I opened a new bottle of sazerac rye recently and had forgotten how good it was.
I read that as biscuits at first <laugh>
<laugh>
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Donkey Toon
Croatia (Modric)
Croatia (Modric)

Post by Donkey Toon » Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:04 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Donkey Toon wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:57 pm

Maker's Mark, was on special at Waitrose £20 a bottle. Thought it was rude not to.

Never tried Sazerac ... don't much of a selection where I live. How does it rate?
Nice - my local Waitrose is closing on 31st December so may need to pay a visit to stock up.

Sazerac Rye is excellent, it’s £40/£45 a bottle (got mine online) but well worth it. Haven’t had one for a few years.
I'll look out for it in the event any local shop stocks it in the future! See i'm too tight to pay the postage cost to order online. Starts at minimum of about £8 a bottle to my location and I won't pay that. So I have to live with a crap selection unfortunately.

Speedo
Not at 66-1, f*** that.
Not at 66-1, f*** that.

Post by Speedo » Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:04 pm

Colback's Orange Tufts wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:49 pm
Not a Bruce hater but against so many sides he just wants to sit off for 90 and hope.
But he didn't even do that competently. If that was the plan, you'd play a proper back 3/5 - Schar, Lascelles, Fernandez from the start - with Lewis and Manquillo as wing backs, Hayden and Shelvey in the middle and then a proper front 3. Instead we got a whole lot of nothingness with this beige 4-1-4-1 that offered zero defensive protection and zero offensive danger.

Saint Maximin faded badly second half, Hendrick was rubbish, Joelinton ineffectual... and the back four was pretty ropey throughout. For me the only players coming out with any credit are Darlow - who kept us in it and made a great penalty save - and maybe, maybe Shelvey, who looked a least less purposeless than some of his other games this season. But that was worrying because right now, we are going backwards. Yes we have 7 points from 5 but 6 of those came against abject West Ham and Burnley teams. We're just so soft centred.

Also by the way - why in God's name is Almiron not playing? Offers so much more than anyone except ASM.

EDIT: Just saw on twitter that Shelvey pulled out of a 50/50 in the run up to Man U's second. So he can do one as well.
Last edited by Speedo on Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I had the first custom w***

Donkey Toon
Croatia (Modric)
Croatia (Modric)

Post by Donkey Toon » Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:07 pm

Got exactly what we deserved from that ... f*** all. If you set out to do nothing but defend, and then lose, then you have nobody to blame but yourself. Bloody awful yet again.

Valentino's fast feet
Senegal (Aboubakar)
Senegal (Aboubakar)

Post by Valentino's fast feet » Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:11 pm

Donkey Toon wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:04 pm
Bodacious Benny wrote:

Nice - my local Waitrose is closing on 31st December so may need to pay a visit to stock up.

Sazerac Rye is excellent, it’s £40/£45 a bottle (got mine online) but well worth it. Haven’t had one for a few years.
I'll look out for it in the event any local shop stocks it in the future! See i'm too tight to pay the postage cost to order online. Starts at minimum of about £8 a bottle to my location and I won't pay that. So I have to live with a crap selection unfortunately.
Bulliet Frontier is a rye whiskey that I personally like. I'd never profess to have any kind of knowledge on the subject, but I like it.

Scalabrine
Wilson's Loose Tooth

Post by Scalabrine » Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:12 pm

My stream died at 85 minute, 1-1 at the moment. TRUE STORY. What a lucky man! <gent>

Donkey Toon
Croatia (Modric)
Croatia (Modric)

Post by Donkey Toon » Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:16 pm

CIH wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:11 pm
Donkey Toon wrote:

Bulliet Frontier is a rye whiskey that I personally like. I'd never profess to have any kind of knowledge on the subject, but I like it.
Yeah that's nice. It's one of the ones I can get. Finished a bottle last week actually. :)

ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by ALF » Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:36 pm

Speedo wrote:
Colback's Orange Tufts wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:49 pm
Not a Bruce hater but against so many sides he just wants to sit off for 90 and hope.
But he didn't even do that competently. If that was the plan, you'd play a proper back 3/5 - Schar, Lascelles, Fernandez from the start - with Lewis and Manquillo as wing backs, Hayden and Shelvey in the middle and then a proper front 3. Instead we got a whole lot of nothingness with this beige 4-1-4-1 that offered zero defensive protection and zero offensive danger.

Saint Maximin faded badly second half, Hendrick was rubbish, Joelinton ineffectual... and the back four was pretty ropey throughout. For me the only players coming out with any credit are Darlow - who kept us in it and made a great penalty save - and maybe, maybe Shelvey, who looked a least less purposeless than some of his other games this season. But that was worrying because right now, we are going backwards. Yes we have 7 points from 5 but 6 of those came against abject West Ham and Burnley teams. We're just so soft centred.

Also by the way - why in God's name is Almiron not playing? Offers so much more than anyone except ASM.

EDIT: Just saw on twitter that Shelvey pulled out of a 50/50 in the run up to Man U's second. So he can do one as well.
A back 4 with a DM is still a way of parking the bus.

Shelvey needs to f*** off, one of the worst players we've ever had as a regular starter.

Bruce needs to f*** off too.

Almiron needs to be playing, he's got the best footballing brain in our team by a mile and he needs to be playing alongside Longstaff.

Valentino's fast feet
Senegal (Aboubakar)
Senegal (Aboubakar)

Post by Valentino's fast feet » Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:47 pm

ALF wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:36 pm
Speedo wrote:

Shelvey needs to **** off, one of the worst players we've ever had as a regular starter.

Bruce needs to **** off too.

Almiron needs to be playing, he's got the best footballing brain in our team by a mile and he needs to be playing alongside Longstaff.
I agree with mostly all of that, and perhaps all of that anyway. From playing alongside Longstaff, implies that Almiron should be deeper in midfield - I disagree with that. I think he needs to be in the three behind the Wilson, most likely central. We are clearly lacking in creativity in central midfield, and that needs to be addressed. I don't think that Almiron dropping deeper is the answer. ASM, Almiron, Fraser behind Wilson. That's my view.

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:48 pm

"It's a work in progress for us. We have tried to change and with that it will take time" ~ Steve Bruce

He's been in charge for a few transfer windows now and had the majority of players long enough to change "system" and "mindsets" so that **** excuse doesn't cut the mustard anymore.

He's just not good enough.

Valentino's fast feet
Senegal (Aboubakar)
Senegal (Aboubakar)

Post by Valentino's fast feet » Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:51 pm

overseasTOON wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:48 pm
He's just not good enough.

ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by ALF » Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:08 pm

CIH wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:47 pm
ALF wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:36 pm

Shelvey needs to **** off, one of the worst players we've ever had as a regular starter.

Bruce needs to **** off too.

I agree with mostly all of that, and perhaps all of that anyway. From playing alongside Longstaff, implies that Almiron should be deeper in midfield - I disagree with that. I think he needs to be in the three behind the Wilson, most likely central. We are clearly lacking in creativity in central midfield, and that needs to be addressed. I don't think that Almiron dropping deeper is the answer. ASM, Almiron, Fraser behind Wilson. That's my view.
Yeah that's my bad. I've worded that badly. I think Almiron at 10 with Longstaff playing alongside Hendrick/Hayden. Longstaff covers more ground than anyone when he plays, he's perfect for a box to box role. He contributes going forward but he has the energy to get back and defend as well.

Valentino's fast feet
Senegal (Aboubakar)
Senegal (Aboubakar)

Post by Valentino's fast feet » Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:11 pm

ALF wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:08 pm
CIH wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:47 pm

Yeah that's my bad. I've worded that badly. I think Almiron at 10 with Longstaff playing alongside Hendrick/Hayden. Longstaff covers more ground than anyone when he plays, he's perfect for a box to box role. He contributes going forward but he has the energy to get back and defend as well.
<notbad>

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:14 pm

I watched the highlights. Wish I hadn't bothered.

Valentino's fast feet
Senegal (Aboubakar)
Senegal (Aboubakar)

Post by Valentino's fast feet » Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:29 pm

Colly wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:14 pm
I watched the match. Ditto.

Slim999
Shelvey's Precious

Post by Slim999 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:48 pm

Ask any Sunderland fan what they think of Bruce... and they'll tell you

First season not bad
Second season worse.
Third season s***

Clueless- one of those godawful managers whose only take on the game is how to stifle the opposition. He's the antithesis of a Keegan or a Ferguson.

Where the fucks Almiron and Longstaff ?
What Gives Joelinton the right to start each game?
Why does everything now revolve around Shelvey who has 1 decent game every three.

Bruce's after match comments summer it up for me- he chuntered on about how lively ManUs front line was.

They were there for the taking you negative prick

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:55 pm

Longstaff's injured, and for some reason successive Newcastle managers are fooled by Shelvey, better men than Bruce have played him for far longer.

krully
Germany (Müller)
Germany (Müller)

Post by krully » Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:59 pm

CIH wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:29 pm
Colly wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:14 pm
I watched the match. Ditto.
Yeh same