Match day thread: Newcastle v Man U

Crouching Shola Hidden Talent
Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder

Re: Match day thread: Newcastle v Man U

Post by Crouching Shola Hidden Talent » Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:20 pm

I feel like every time I offer responses on here now they are largely the same, and they all reiterate one of my more recent posts: regardless whether we win, lose or draw, there is just no fun in watching us anymore. There was a time when I would rinse my bank account (when I was a student so it is all relative) to travel to live games to watch us. Now there is so little to look forward to that a quick check on livescore feels like it is enough, followed by the inevitable disappointment.

This is not just down to Bruce (not tonight specifically, just my feelings above) but years and years of soul sapping s**** both to do with our club and football in general. It's just miserable to watch.

It's been really sad to see this forum go the same way as well - there are so many wonderfully passionate supporters on here who have fallen away, yet even for those who are still here it feels like the flame has died a little. I don't post often but I've been here since the 606 days and I read regularly, and it's so sad to see that excitement dissipate between this group.

HWTL
There is no sin except stupidity.

Slim999
Shelvey's Precious

Post by Slim999 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:50 pm

Crouching Shola Hidden Talent wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:20 pm
I feel like every time I offer responses on here now they are largely the same, and they all reiterate one of my more recent posts: regardless whether we win, lose or draw, there is just no fun in watching us anymore. There was a time when I would rinse my bank account (when I was a student so it is all relative) to travel to live games to watch us. Now there is so little to look forward to that a quick check on livescore feels like it is enough, followed by the inevitable disappointment.

This is not just down to Bruce (not tonight specifically, just my feelings above) but years and years of soul sapping s**** both to do with our club and football in general. It's just miserable to watch.

It's been really sad to see this forum go the same way as well - there are so many wonderfully passionate supporters on here who have fallen away, yet even for those who are still here it feels like the flame has died a little. I don't post often but I've been here since the 606 days and I read regularly, and it's so sad to see that excitement dissipate between this group.

HWTL
I feel we have some genuinely good attacking players in Wilson, ASM, Miggy and Fraser

Not brilliant ( apart from ASM on his day) - but good enough to do damage to most PL backlines.. many of of whom are vulnerable including ManUs

But we need more than 2 of these players to start. I genuinely am puzzled as to how miggy has fallen out of favour

By all means play a heavy defence with a DM in front if we are facing tough attacking line ups - but we need at least 4 attack minded players on the pitch -
What I saw tonight was Manu advance till we hoof the ball up the park either back to the OPPO or to one of our own who then gets swapped and surrenders it back to the OPPO.

Sanchino
http://thesaurus.com/browse/redundant

Post by Sanchino » Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:54 am

overseasTOON wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:48 pm
"It's a work in progress for us. We have tried to change and with that it will take time" ~ Steve Bruce

He's been in charge for a few transfer windows now and had the majority of players long enough to change "system" and "mindsets" so that **** excuse doesn't cut the mustard anymore.

He's just not good enough.
This. Why isn't Miggy and Fraser starting from the get go?

So negative, uninspiring and dull. This defensive 4-4-2 isn't working. We need a flexible, fluid and expansive 4-2-3-1 with Hendrick / Hayden holding, Miggy, Fraser & ASM rotating between each other in a versatile and flexible three behind Wilson. The fact we're accommodating a natural central midfield out wide is ridiculous. We're lacking pace & wing-play which Fraser would provide.. even Murphy too. Hendrick is a natural box-to-box midfielder not a RW/RM. Joelinton as much as he's slightly improved isn't good enough to be starting over Miggy.. no way ever. Miggy & Fraser NEED to start next week against Wolves.. no excuses. Rekindle the Longstaff - Hayden partnership too & let Miggy play the no.10. If next week it's the same line-up then BRUCE OUT! <scratch> <diva> <wave>

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:40 am

I do agree on not wanting to spend money to follow us now (pre Covid). When games were local-ish and I could get an away ticket I was thinking “do I want to spend £40 on this” and sometimes I didn’t bother. There was a time where I’d have reminders etc set on my phone to buy tickets as soon as they became available but not now. I haven’t renewed my membership for the past couple of years, i just look for spares on Twitter if there’s a game i want to go to.

I haven’t been to SJP for about 2-3 years now as it’s an expensive and long day out for me and what’s the point as the football is generally crap.

Regarding yesterday, 1-4 flattered them. We did have a couple of decent chance and De Gea made a fantastic save from Wilson. But the midfield other than ASM is just too turgid. If he doesn’t perform then we don’t. Hayden, Hendrick and Joelinton don’t offer much going forward, Shelvey doesn’t do much of anything. It’s such a shame that S Longstaff got injured and regressed so much. I remember seeing him play v wolves away a couple of seasons ago and he absolutely bossed midfield, and considering they had Neves and Moutinho in CM that’s saying something.

Imo we need to drop Joelinton for an actual attacking midfielder, and if Hayden is out for a bit maybe Bruce will have his hand forced.
Last edited by Bodacious Benny on Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

krully
Germany (Müller)
Germany (Müller)

Post by krully » Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:54 am

He should have been sacked after the first season, relying on blind luck and individual skill from the front 3 or shelvey wonder balls.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:10 am

Given we stayed up comfortably by 10 points last season there's no chance he'd have been (or deserved to be) sacked. It was crap to watch but it got us where (or above) where people thought we'd be. Charnley/Ashley won't care what it looks like on the pitch. In terms of yesterday, it was far better than something like Spurs away when we snatched the draw. Though that's a very low performance bar I've just set <laugh>

We're pretty much what Stoke were a few years ago. Some good attacking players, an 'industrious' midfield and some good defenders but overall reliant on one or two good players to do something (e.g. Stoke had Arnautovic and Shaqiri and we rely on ASM and Wilson).
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

jpg
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by jpg » Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:16 am

Why don’t we play 3 CBs anymore? Injuries?

It seems we’re setting up with 4 man defence only to build the midfield up to protect it. This leaves Wilson isolated and requires ASM to dribble past the entire opposition from our 12 yard box. What exactly was Joelinton’s role last night?

We need much more mobility in central midfield; it’s non-existent at the moment. Bring either of the Longstaffs in for Shelvey. Joelinton should never be starting ahead of Almiron...ever!

Bruce quickly learnt from his mistakes last season. Let’s hope he can do the same again this year.

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:01 pm

Donkey Toon wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:16 pm
CIH wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:11 pm

Bulliet Frontier is a rye whiskey that I personally like. I'd never profess to have any kind of knowledge on the subject, but I like it.
Yeah that's nice. It's one of the ones I can get. Finished a bottle last week actually. :)
Bulliet is definitely a classic. Four Roses is the basic bourbon I tend to keep stocked in our bar.

gola

Post by gola » Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:16 pm

Dreadful. And without the fans therre it's even worse. In these times you want something to shout about, something to excite you but we're just not getting it anymore. We've lost control of our club and it's just bloody sad.

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:17 pm

I'll harp on the midfield once again. For nearly a decade we've played ultra conservatively, having hired defensive managers and not recruited the necessary type of players to play a possession-oriented attacking style of play. Sure we've had some exciting wingers and forwards in that time, but those aren't the positions that influence the pace of play or are likely to retain consistent periods of possession. Other than Cabaye, Gini and maybe early Tiote we really haven't had CMs that will take over a match and have the skill to play on our terms. Instead we've had a couple tackling-only CDMs (e.g. Hayden), hard workers with no skill (e.g. Perch), and players that are likely to ping some long passes around as soon as the opportunity arises (e.g. Shelvey, Guthrie, Barton).

Until the club priorities that position, and hires a different type of manager, they'll just keep throwing money at forwards that are handicapped and needing to make chicken salad out of chicken s***.

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:11 pm

Donkey Toon
Croatia (Modric)
Croatia (Modric)

Post by Donkey Toon » Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:58 pm

Remember Colo wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:01 pm
Donkey Toon wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:16 pm

Yeah that's nice. It's one of the ones I can get. Finished a bottle last week actually. :)
Bulliet is definitely a classic. Four Roses is the basic bourbon I tend to keep stocked in our bar.
Yeah, they are made by the same distillery aren't they? Used to buy Four Roses all the time, but haven't seen a bottle round here on sale for about 10 years unfortunately. Still Bulleit is good too.

Sanchino

Post by Sanchino » Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:09 pm

Remember Colo wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:17 pm
I'll harp on the midfield once again. For nearly a decade we've played ultra conservatively, having hired defensive managers and not recruited the necessary type of players to play a possession-oriented attacking style of play. Sure we've had some exciting wingers and forwards in that time, but those aren't the positions that influence the pace of play or are likely to retain consistent periods of possession. Other than Cabaye, Gini and maybe early Tiote we really haven't had CMs that will take over a match and have the skill to play on our terms. Instead we've had a couple tackling-only CDMs (e.g. Hayden), hard workers with no skill (e.g. Perch), and players that are likely to ping some long passes around as soon as the opportunity arises (e.g. Shelvey, Guthrie, Barton).

Until the club priorities that position, and hires a different type of manager, they'll just keep throwing money at forwards that are handicapped and needing to make chicken salad out of chicken s***.
Very well said. <applause>

Valentino's fast feet
Senegal (Aboubakar)
Senegal (Aboubakar)

Post by Valentino's fast feet » Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:44 pm

Donkey Toon wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:58 pm
Remember Colo wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:01 pm

Yeah, they are made by the same distillery aren't they? Used to buy Four Roses all the time, but haven't seen a bottle round here on sale for about 10 years unfortunately. Still Bulleit is good too.
Never tried Four Roses, will have keep an eye out.
Previously CIH/Cabella's Invincible Hair

ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by ALF » Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:34 pm

HWTL
Great post. Agree with it completely.

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:56 pm

CIH wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:44 pm
Donkey Toon wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:58 pm

Never tried Four Roses, will have keep an eye out.
Weren't originally distilled by the same distillery, but through corporate takeovers became divisions of the same company and were being distilled out of Four Roses - I think they may have their own new facility in Kentucky now though. So hard to keep up with distilling and brewing with the same couple companies buying up everything.

It's a solid, smooth bourbon good for cocktails. Maybe not interesting enough to bother drinking straight, but strikes a fine balance of price and quality to have as a bar-cart bourbon.

biggeordiedave
Living in his head rent free
Living in his head rent free

Post by biggeordiedave » Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:47 am

HWTL
Same for me. I've never been a regular match goer, but once upon a time I would watch or listen to every single match. There are times nowadays that I forget we're even playing. A 1-4 defeat against Man Utd would have annoyed me, but now I just don't care at all.
Kindly deeds done for free!

Valentino's fast feet
Senegal (Aboubakar)
Senegal (Aboubakar)

Post by Valentino's fast feet » Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:30 pm

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54597058

20 grand raised for the local foodbanks in that no to PPV campaign over the weekend.

<notbad>
Previously CIH/Cabella's Invincible Hair