Other club transfers summer 2020

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Re: Other club transfers summer 2020

Post by Remember Colo » Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:57 pm

How pundits still talk up his ability despite offering nothing for years now just demonstrates how important making a decent first impression is as a young English footballer. You can ride off that reputation for a decade.

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:03 pm

Yep, you probably still get some pundits talking about Wilshere having potential.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Sanchino
http://thesaurus.com/browse/redundant
http://thesaurus.com/browse/redundant

Post by Sanchino » Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:07 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:03 pm
Yep, you probably still get some pundits talking about Wilshere having potential.
Ravel Morrison.. another one.

ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by ALF » Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:57 am

Remember Colo wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:57 pm
How pundits still talk up his ability despite offering nothing for years now just demonstrates how important making a decent first impression is as a young English footballer. You can ride off that reputation for a decade.
Playing for a 'big club' is important too. Saido Berahino is an example of how easy it is to be forgotten about.

biggeordiedave
Living in his head rent free

Post by biggeordiedave » Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:08 am

The way they talk about these players it's like they're still young and have plenty of time left to reach their potential. Jesse Lingard is a prime example of this. He's 27 but the pundits still refer to him as a "young player" like he's 19 or something.
Kindly deeds done for free!

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:53 am

Jermaine Jenas still has potential and he retired 4 years ago.

biggeordiedave

Post by biggeordiedave » Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:00 am

There was a decent article in FourFourTwo about Nile Ranger.

It's PressReader so there are a couple of bits that are cut off but you get the gist - https://www.pressreader.com/australia/f ... 5352301034

Basically he talks about how he has pissed away his entire career and how club after club have taken a chance on him and he's let them down massively. Now he's 29 and full of regret, he wants another chance that he will definitely take this time... <wenger>

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:46 am

Yeah, when someone doesn't take the second/third/fourth chance they're given their words don't hold much weight.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

biggeordiedave

Post by biggeordiedave » Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:55 am

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:46 am
Yeah, when someone doesn't take the second/third/fourth chance they're given their words don't hold much weight.
I can't believe he turned down £1000 a week to play for Rochdale just because there were some conditions about where he'd have to live. It's quite sad because he was actually a really decent player, but just one that is also a total scumbag who, while thinking of nobody but himself, consistently makes absolutely terrible decisions that have prevented him from having what would have been a good career in professional football.

I'm also surprised he managed to hit someone after "drinking three bottles of Hennessy Cognac" <yikes>. I'd be a wreck after one bottle, and by three I definitely wouldn't be capable of even moving, let alone hitting someone.

ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by ALF » Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:25 am

biggeordiedave wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:55 am
Bodacious Benny wrote:
I can't believe he turned down £1000 a week to play for Rochdale just because there were some conditions about where he'd have to live. It's quite sad because he was actually a really decent player, but just one that is also a total scumbag who, while thinking of nobody but himself, consistently makes absolutely terrible decisions that have prevented him from having what would have been a good career in professional football.

I'm also surprised he managed to hit someone after "drinking three bottles of Hennessy Cognac" <yikes>. I'd be a wreck after one bottle, and by three I definitely wouldn't be capable of even moving, let alone hitting someone.
He's a terrible human being but I'd still like to see him do well. He was a decent player for us, just needed to score a few more but he's messed up every chance he's had. Wouldn't surprise me if he's still got more arrests than goals in his career.

biggeordiedave

Post by biggeordiedave » Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:52 pm

ALF wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:25 am
biggeordiedave wrote:

He's a terrible human being but I'd still like to see him do well. He was a decent player for us, just needed to score a few more but he's messed up every chance he's had. Wouldn't surprise me if he's still got more arrests than goals in his career.
I think "doing well" for Ranger now would probably be National League. The problem is that the low wages probably lead to him looking for other ways to make cash, and I don't think getting a job would be high on his list of priorities.

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:54 pm

biggeordiedave wrote:
Bodacious Benny wrote:

Cognac? Very gangster of him <laugh>

I’d probably die if I had 3 bottles of that.

biggeordiedave

Post by biggeordiedave » Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:04 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:54 pm
biggeordiedave wrote:

Cognac? Very gangster of him <laugh>

I’d probably die if I had 3 bottles of that.
You should see him when he gets onto the sherry <laugh>

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:20 pm

biggeordiedave wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:00 am

It's PressReader so there are a couple of bits that are cut off but you get the gist - https://www.pressreader.com/australia/f ... 5352301034

Basically he talks about how he has pissed away his entire career and how club after club have taken a chance on him and he's let them down massively. Now he's 29 and full of regret, he wants another chance that he will definitely take this time... <wenger>
Has also been interesting to read some of Bendtner's book and the press he's done for it. He's obviously more harmless than Ranger who actually had criminal issues, but to hear him finally have perspective about how he wasted his potential, seems like it's a message other young footballers (or any young people who get rich early) could benefit from hearing.

biggeordiedave

Post by biggeordiedave » Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:58 pm

Remember Colo wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:20 pm
biggeordiedave wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:00 am

Has also been interesting to read some of Bendtner's book and the press he's done for it. He's obviously more harmless than Ranger who actually had criminal issues, but to hear him finally have perspective about how he wasted his potential, seems like it's a message other young footballers (or any young people who get rich early) could benefit from hearing.
I read that interview too the other day...Guardian I think. I've said before, if you'd given me massive sums of cash and a lot of free time when I was 18-21 then I would have made some pretty bad choices. I like to think I would have been grateful for the amazing career opportunity though!

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:01 pm

biggeordiedave wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:58 pm
Remember Colo wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:20 pm

I read that interview too the other day...Guardian I think. I've said before, if you'd given me massive sums of cash and a lot of free time when I was 18-21 then I would have made some pretty bad choices. I like to think I would have been grateful for the amazing career opportunity though!
That's the one! And yeah, I'd like to think I wouldn't take it for granted, but I can't even imagine what it'd be like to have spent my formative years in the football bubble, praised as the next big thing and all of this success, attention and money coming at me faster than I can mature.

biggeordiedave

Post by biggeordiedave » Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:58 am

Manchester United defender Phil Jones, 28, wants to leave the club in January, with the former England international unhappy at being left out of their Champions League squad.
He's another one that was tipped for greatness as a youngster and has been living off that hype ever since. I don't think he's a good enough defender to play in the Champions League. Man Utd apparently want £20m for him and no doubt he will have ludicrous wage demands too. Sadly he's just the sort of player I can see Steve Bruce chucking money at <grim>.

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:13 am

Remember Colo wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:01 pm
biggeordiedave wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:58 pm

That's the one! And yeah, I'd like to think I wouldn't take it for granted, but I can't even imagine what it'd be like to have spent my formative years in the football bubble, praised as the next big thing and all of this success, attention and money coming at me faster than I can mature.
I'd have been straight out to buy a Ferrari and probably have wrapped it around the nearest tree <laugh>

It is ridiculous that a teenager now can be given tens of thousands of pounds a week and the time/freedom to do literally anything with it. Keep in mind nowadays that most academy players coming through have been picked up at a very young age so probably have very little sense of what 'normal' is, especially if it's a big club they've come through at. To an extent they can't be blamed for when they go off the rails or spunk their money away, but there really should be something in place such as until you're a certain age then a certain % of your wage is put into some sort of trust fund. Of course it's completely unrealistic and probably not even legally possible, but it might help ground a few more young players.

biggeordiedave

Post by biggeordiedave » Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:27 am

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:13 am
Remember Colo wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:01 pm

I'd have been straight out to buy a Ferrari and probably have wrapped it around the nearest tree <laugh>

It is ridiculous that a teenager now can be given tens of thousands of pounds a week and the time/freedom to do literally anything with it. Keep in mind nowadays that most academy players coming through have been picked up at a very young age so probably have very little sense of what 'normal' is, especially if it's a big club they've come through at. To an extent they can't be blamed for when they go off the rails or spunk their money away, but there really should be something in place such as until you're a certain age then a certain % of your wage is put into some sort of trust fund. Of course it's completely unrealistic and probably not even legally possible, but it might help ground a few more young players.
That has always been my concern with young players. If they're picked up as young children and are on the books of a top club, I think a lot of kids would get carried away with that and their education becomes less of a priority than their football. This is why you end up with a lot of players who are as thick as a bucket of dog s***. I went through school with quite a few lads who were head and shoulders above any of the rest of us, played for the County schools team, had the odd trial here and there and were maybe even in the youth systems of professional clubs. Not a single one of them made it in football past the age of 16. Thankfully they were still at an age where they could look at college and apprenticeships.

If you take a kid from a rough background who doesn't have a great deal of intelligence and start giving him more money than he can spend, it's going to end badly more often than not. I totally agree that their should be some mechanism that gives them "pocket money" until they have been given a lot of guidance about how to manage their wealth.

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:35 am

You would hope (or assume) that the top clubs would have some sort of programme in place to advise and educate young players on how to manage money, but if such a thing did exist it would probably be a token one-off session and maybe not even mandatory.