Weekend Football 17/10 to 19/10

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Re: Weekend Football 17/10 to 19/10

Post by bodacious benny » Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:08 am

I think that Chelsea under Lampard are good to watch, but not in the way that he'd want <laugh>

They're generally pretty open, have plenty of goals in them but are also pretty poor defensively so you usually get good action at both ends of the pitch. Not just this season, last season too.

Leeds are good to watch but maybe the defeat to Wolves might ease the press love-in a bit.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

krully
Germany (Müller)
Germany (Müller)

Post by krully » Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:26 am

I wish we were enjoyable to watch 🦆

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:42 am

krully wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:26 am
I missed the entertainers years, but early 2000s under Sir Bobby with Solano and Robert on the wings, Speed and Dyer in midfield and Shearer/Bellamy up-front was decent <awe>

Andy Griffin scoring the winner v Juventus, a 2-2 in the San Siro, Shearer hattrick against Leverkusen, that game against Feyenoord <awe>

Plenty of exciting league games too, remember a 4-3 win at Leeds when they were one of the top teams, beating Man U 4-3 at SJP with a Robert screamer, winning our first away game in London in a century away to an excellent Arsenal team (3-1 I think) - some great memories. Of course there were some awful performances too, but it was entertaining to watch us.

As someone said, if you're a young fan now what do you have to get excited about? Grinding out a 1-0 win against someone like Palace at home? We still pull off the odd upset like when we beat Man C 2-1 and that was amazing (more so for the drama rather than the excitement of us playing well) but the legacy of the Ashley era may well be a lost generation of fans who simply got bored of being bored...
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Sanchino
http://thesaurus.com/browse/redundant
http://thesaurus.com/browse/redundant

Post by Sanchino » Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:39 am

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:42 am
krully wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:26 am
I missed the entertainers years, but early 2000s under Sir Bobby with Solano and Robert on the wings, Speed and Dyer in midfield and Shearer/Bellamy up-front was decent <awe>

Andy Griffin scoring the winner v Juventus, a 2-2 in the San Siro, Shearer hattrick against Leverkusen, that game against Feyenoord <awe>

Plenty of exciting league games too, remember a 4-3 win at Leeds when they were one of the top teams, beating Man U 4-3 at SJP with a Robert screamer, winning our first away game in London in a century away to an excellent Arsenal team (3-1 I think) - some great memories. Of course there were some awful performances too, but it was entertaining to watch us.

As someone said, if you're a young fan now what do you have to get excited about? Grinding out a 1-0 win against someone like Palace at home? We still pull off the odd upset like when we beat Man C 2-1 and that was amazing (more so for the drama rather than the excitement of us playing well) but the legacy of the Ashley era may well be a lost generation of fans who simply got bored of being bored...
Brilliant post. We were exciting to watch & had some great results in the 2011/2012 too were we ended 5th. <ok> <applause>

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:58 am

There's swings and roundabouts to it though, for all the quality of the 90s supporters had to watch mainly second division football in the 80s. My first games were in the late 80s and were absolutely terrible. I'm not saying we don't deserve better, but even the top sides have crap periods.