Ashley statement about PPV

Valentino's fast feet
Senegal (Aboubakar)
Senegal (Aboubakar)

Ashley statement about PPV

Post by Valentino's fast feet » Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:06 pm

Newcastle United owner, Mike Ashley, has issued the following statement in relation to the Premier League's current pay-per-view arrangements:

"I am calling on the Premier League to immediately act and review its current pay-per-view arrangements for live matches in the UK.

"Charging £14.95 for single televised matches in the current climate it is not acceptable to any football fan.

"Supporters have overwhelmingly rejected this offer and the Premier League must now act.

"Why not make it much more accessible at £4.95 per match until Christmas?

"The Government should waive VAT on the above pay-per-view matches so that as many of those who are unable to attend matches in person can at least watch their team.

"The profit from the above reduced-price pay-per-view option, I would suggest that 50% would be retained by Premier League and 50% would go to the football pyramid below.

"As a club, Newcastle United did vote in favour of the pay-per-view proposal, but to be clear, this was because there were no realistic or any viable alternatives put forward to enable supporters to watch matches."

https://www.nufc.co.uk/news/latest-news ... t2ooow4njo

-----

When Ashley say's you are being greedy and shortsighted, something is terribly wrong <laugh> I note that he doesn't say scrap it all together, mind. Find it interesting that he's chosen to back track after originally voting for, or well the club did I suppose. It's not usual for him to reverse a decision based on negative public opinion.
Previously CIH/Cabella's Invincible Hair

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Re: Ashley statement about PPV

Post by bodacious benny » Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:23 pm

Haha Saint Mike!
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:29 pm

Mike didn't get to where he is today buy selling s*** at premium prices.

Cal
Denmark (Kasper)
Denmark (Kasper)

Post by Cal » Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:11 am

A fiver is the kind of pricepoint that I'd actually consider - got to imagine it would at least triple the sales.

Elsewhere people are pointing out that Ashley is continuing to take season ticket money and not giving refunds out any time soon.

UlversToon
Argentina (Messi)
Argentina (Messi)

Post by UlversToon » Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:47 am

To be fair some of our games don't provide value for money even when they're free!

The Deluded Pablo Diego Jose Francisco
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by The Deluded Pablo Diego Jose Francisco » Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:50 am

CIH wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:06 pm
Newcastle United owner, Mike Ashley, has issued the following statement in relation to the Premier League's current pay-per-view arrangements:

"I am calling on the Premier League to immediately act and review its current pay-per-view arrangements for live matches in the UK.

"Charging £14.95 for single televised matches in the current climate it is not acceptable to any football fan.

"Supporters have overwhelmingly rejected this offer and the Premier League must now act.

"Why not make it much more accessible at £4.95 per match until Christmas?

"The Government should waive VAT on the above pay-per-view matches so that as many of those who are unable to attend matches in person can at least watch their team.

"The profit from the above reduced-price pay-per-view option, I would suggest that 50% would be retained by Premier League and 50% would go to the football pyramid below.

"As a club, Newcastle United did vote in favour of the pay-per-view proposal, but to be clear, this was because there were no realistic or any viable alternatives put forward to enable supporters to watch matches."

https://www.nufc.co.uk/news/latest-news ... t2ooow4njo

-----

When Ashley say's you are being greedy and shortsighted, something is terribly wrong <laugh> I note that he doesn't say scrap it all together, mind. Find it interesting that he's chosen to back track after originally voting for, or well the club did I suppose. It's not usual for him to reverse a decision based on negative public opinion.

That there says it all about the level of stupidity in our boardroom, you do know that you can vote against the proposal you f***ing idiots!

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:53 am

As far as I know; only Leicester voted against the PPV scheme.

originallad
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by originallad » Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:43 am

Now Sky and BT want to scrap it because it's been a financial disaster so far.

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:19 pm

Thing is I'd probably pay a fiver, especially if it's divvied up how Ashley is suggesting. Therefore it won't happen.

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:25 pm

Yeah I’d have paid a fiver but will stick to my mates Australian sport site login - even watched the second half of brigton v wba last night just because it was free <laugh>
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:40 pm

Bloody hell. I think I'll stick with paying just to avoid accidentally watching Brighton games.

Valentino's fast feet
Senegal (Aboubakar)
Senegal (Aboubakar)

Post by Valentino's fast feet » Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:43 pm

Colly wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:40 pm
Bloody hell. I think I'll stick with paying just to avoid accidentally watching Brighton games.
<laugh>

Apparently there's a prem shareholders meeting today about the pricing of the PPV scheme. Probably talks about extending/scrapping it as well.

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:33 pm

CIH wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:43 pm
Colly wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:40 pm
<laugh>

Apparently there's a prem shareholders meeting today about the pricing of the PPV scheme. Probably talks about extending/scrapping it as well.
League spokesperson: After careful review we've amended the price to £19.99 per match and f*** you.

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:58 pm

Can't credit the club for much, but it has been pretty consistent about fan affordability (relatively speaking) over the past decade. Whether it was some of the season ticket price schemes, away ticket agreements or this. Obviously they've also screwed season ticket holders this year on refunds, so the good efforts only go so far.

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:39 pm

I don't know anyone who has actually paid to watch a match yet, but apparently there's not even any pundits/analysis etc. and it's literally just the match?

Valentino's fast feet
Senegal (Aboubakar)
Senegal (Aboubakar)

Post by Valentino's fast feet » Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:04 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:39 pm
I don't know anyone who has actually paid to watch a match yet, but apparently there's not even any pundits/analysis etc. and it's literally just the match?
I think the west brom v Burnley game only got something like 1000 subs

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:32 am

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:39 pm
Which would be insane considering that's available for the official PL matchday coverage that's aired around the world. You'd think they could use the feed/coverage that everyone else receives.

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:28 am

West Brom play Monday in what's apparently their 4th PPV game on the bounce. Just to add more s*** to the shitshow.

UlversToon
Argentina (Messi)
Argentina (Messi)

Post by UlversToon » Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:14 pm

PPV scrapped apparently.

originallad
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by originallad » Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:34 pm

UlversToon wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:14 pm
PPV scrapped apparently.
Good. Would rather waste my money on OnlyFans.