Match thread: Newcastle v Everton

Speedo
Not at 66-1, f*** that.
Not at 66-1, f*** that.

Re: Match thread: Newcastle v Everton

Post by Speedo » Sun Nov 01, 2020 3:58 pm

Remember Colo wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 3:55 pm
And further to my previous post, when has playing deep and soft ever worked for us? We park the bus every week, concede so much pressure, and had what did they say, 2 clean sheets in our last 14? So the idea that we have to play that way to get results is proven wrong by the lack of defensive results.

But we got the win today, which is great and was needed! I'd just argue it's because we played a bit differently for much of the match. Hopefully Bruce will learn some lessons - but unlikely.
We literally finished 10th and 13th under Rafa playing effective defensive football! And some of our best results last year we played the same way.

I actually thought that was a pretty good performance all in all. 4 glorious chances, could’ve been more comfortable than it was. Admittedly they were quite rubbish.
I had the first custom w***

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Sun Nov 01, 2020 3:59 pm

lassassinblanc wrote:
Bruce haters don't know what to think
I was following a guy on Twitter who's supposedly linked to the mental health work the club do, I had to unfollow because he was so bloody miserable.

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Sun Nov 01, 2020 3:59 pm

Remember Colo wrote:
And further to my previous post, when has playing deep and soft ever worked for us?
<perv>

seaside nipper
Spain (Morata)
Spain (Morata)

Post by seaside nipper » Sun Nov 01, 2020 4:00 pm

Yay, a much improved second half and far more acceptable approach until the don’t watch alone last six minutes <ohnoes>
Clydeside & Tyneside

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Sun Nov 01, 2020 4:06 pm

Speedo wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 3:58 pm
Remember Colo wrote:
And further to my previous post, when has playing deep and soft ever worked for us? We park the bus every week, concede so much pressure, and had what did they say, 2 clean sheets in our last 14? So the idea that we have to play that way to get results is proven wrong by the lack of defensive results.

But we got the win today, which is great and was needed! I'd just argue it's because we played a bit differently for much of the match. Hopefully Bruce will learn some lessons - but unlikely.
We literally finished 10th and 13th under Rafa playing effective defensive football! And some of our best results last year we played the same way.

I actually thought that was a pretty good performance all in all. 4 glorious chances, could’ve been more comfortable than it was. Admittedly they were quite rubbish.
My point was that we haven't been playing effective defensive football early in this season (or late in last). Not that it doesn't exist or we're incapable of playing it over a 4 year sample.

And besides, I was complaining about our recent defensive tactics and play because I agree with you, I thought today was a good performance and it highlighted how a modest change in personnel and tactics can make a positive difference.

Chappy
10 Champs Silver
10 Champs Silver

Post by Chappy » Sun Nov 01, 2020 4:09 pm

Do enjoy seeing us beat those blue mackem s**** bags :D
It’s the noise, the passion, the feeling of belonging, the pride in your city.

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Sun Nov 01, 2020 4:18 pm

Still don't like ASM playing centrally, Fraser offered a much bigger threat when he came on by just making the runs into the channel, one which got us our second, with ASM pace its exactly what we needed from him. Miggy again playing great in CM (whos laughing now ;) ). Lewis seemed to be getting some criticism again for not playing the ball forward, but again if ASM made the runs he needs to then thats the outlet for Lewis. Longstaff had his best game in a while too, overall we had somesloppy play especially in he first half but ave to give credit for us being more balanced between defence and attack.

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Sun Nov 01, 2020 4:20 pm

We looked better today. I like the midfield three of Hendrick, Longstaff and Almiron - it’s well balanced. Hendrick will do the dirty work, Longstaff is box to box and Almiron will run all day long and can carry the ball upfield to relieve pressure.

Defence looked well organised too, another good game for Murphy at RWB and great to see his confidence grow as he’s always had something to offer.

10 Efforts on goal and 4 on target also showed there was more purpose to our play.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Captain Obvious
Drunk Control
Drunk Control

Post by Captain Obvious » Sun Nov 01, 2020 4:28 pm

We were better today. It might have been our best performance this season. Everton were missing their best 3 players. But f*** me you've got to make the most of situations like that, and we really did. Being able to bring players like Fraser off the bench makes a massive difference. Interestingly I thought it was the most Rafa Benitez team selection I've seen from Bruce - ie 5 at the back and no Jonjo in midfield. Maybe he was onto something...... I still don't like ASM through the middle though.

Colback's Orange Tufts
USA USA USA (Pulisic)
USA USA USA (Pulisic)

Post by Colback's Orange Tufts » Sun Nov 01, 2020 4:40 pm

Lol pickford
Sharing articles no-one reads since 2012

krully
Germany (Müller)
Germany (Müller)

Post by krully » Sun Nov 01, 2020 6:18 pm

Was a very good game but this Everton team was extremely slow, would have liked for us to be a bit more ruthless going forward

Sanchino
http://thesaurus.com/browse/redundant
http://thesaurus.com/browse/redundant

Post by Sanchino » Sun Nov 01, 2020 6:42 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 4:20 pm
We looked better today. I like the midfield three of Hendrick, Longstaff and Almiron - it’s well balanced. Hendrick will do the dirty work, Longstaff is box to box and Almiron will run all day long and can carry the ball upfield to relieve pressure.

Defence looked well organised too, another good game for Murphy at RWB and great to see his confidence grow as he’s always had something to offer.

10 Efforts on goal and 4 on target also showed there was more purpose to our play.
This.. agreed maybe swap Hayden in for Hendrick later on but Hendrick's been going about his business nicely, doesn't do anything outstanding plays simple passes, keeps things ticking, a very hard worker, can tackle & his discipline / positional sense is good. Murphy is growing more and more in confidence.. RWB suits him to a peach. Longstaff made some good forward runs & box-to-box role suits him in a three man midfield as he can attack and defend well. I don't like ASM in the middle have mentioned either but were can you put in this formation if things are working well why try fix it?? Unless we go 3-4-3.. with Miggy / ASM supporting Wilson. Fraser was the perfect impact sub.. so pacey & the way he can guild so comfortably with the ball at his feet, he uses his size & height to his advantage perfectly. Shows a good difference in squad depth when we used to bring the likes of Atsu on.. now we have a quality Premier League attacker in Fraser to use. <diva>

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:59 am

It really looks like ASM is carrying a knock or some kind of injury, even before he took his weekly lumps he looked hobbled. If so, I'd start Fraser in his place until he gets his pace back.

beatski
England (Kane)
England (Kane)

Post by beatski » Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:48 am

Remember Colo wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:59 am
It really looks like ASM is carrying a knock or some kind of injury, even before he took his weekly lumps he looked hobbled. If so, I'd start Fraser in his place until he gets his pace back.
If we want to be putting a round peg in a round hole, isnt it what Joelinton's preferred position is supposed to be?

Valentino's fast feet
Senegal (Aboubakar)
Senegal (Aboubakar)

Post by Valentino's fast feet » Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:51 am

Beatski wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:48 am
Remember Colo wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:59 am

If we want to be putting a round peg in a round hole,
isnt it what Joelinton's preferred position is supposed to be
Bruce seems incapable of that kind of advanced tactical thinking
Previously CIH/Cabella's Invincible Hair

biggeordiedave
Living in his head rent free
Living in his head rent free

Post by biggeordiedave » Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:53 am

CIH wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:51 am
Beatski wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:48 am

If we want to be putting a round peg in a round hole,
isnt it what Joelinton's preferred position is supposed to be
Bruce sees the 9 on Joelinton's shirt and becomes physically incapable of playing him anywhere other than CF.
Kindly deeds done for free!

Scalabrine
Wilson's Loose Tooth

Post by Scalabrine » Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:39 pm

Fede Fernández at the back was solid again, what a centre-back. Great sub impact with Ryan Fraser. Sean Longstaff decent game.

Since Saint-Maximin has signed the new and improved contract and plays in the centre position... erm... he played a couple of s*** games. <erk>

Jordan Pickford enjoyed at the bench. <diva>

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:47 pm

biggeordiedave wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:53 am
CIH wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:51 am

Bruce sees the 9 on Joelinton's shirt and becomes physically incapable of playing him anywhere other than CF.
To be fair, he gave him a couple of runs out, and while he was neat and tidy he was hardly dynamic bar a couple of cheeky runs against poor opposition in the cup. I still think there might be something there, but Fraser would be my choice. I'm wary Joelinton might end up being another (much more expensive) Haris Vuckic, not strong enough to be a striker and not quick enough to be an attacking midfielder. :(

ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by ALF » Mon Nov 02, 2020 2:48 pm

Scalabrine wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:39 pm
Fede Fernández at the back was solid again, what a centre-back. Great sub impact with Ryan Fraser. Sean Longstaff decent game.

Since Saint-Maximin has signed the new and improved contract and plays in the centre position... erm... he played a couple of s*** games. <erk>

Think it's the 'free role' that we've given ASM that's the problem. It's basically just a second striker which makes him completely ineffective. His best work is driving in from the left wing and he's not getting anywhere near that position.

Speedo
Not at 66-1, f*** that.
Not at 66-1, f*** that.

Post by Speedo » Mon Nov 02, 2020 3:20 pm

ALF wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 2:48 pm
Scalabrine wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:39 pm

Think it's the 'free role' that we've given ASM that's the problem. It's basically just a second striker which makes him completely ineffective. His best work is driving in from the left wing and he's not getting anywhere near that position.
Agreed. This system suits us much better - but (so far) at the cost of ASM. I think the answer is switching more to a 3-4-3, Rafa style, with Almiron pushed on a bit and ASM pulled back a bit, with both playing fluid roles so they can kinda pop up wherever is most dangerous.
I had the first custom w***