The Managerial Merry-Go-Round Thread

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Re: The Managerial Merry-Go-Round Thread

Post by Bodacious Benny » Sat Dec 05, 2020 5:07 pm

They lost at home to Wigan today who had one shot on target and <30% possession <laugh>
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

UlversToon
Argentina (Messi)
Argentina (Messi)

Post by UlversToon » Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:46 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 5:07 pm
They lost at home to Wigan today who had one shot on target and <30% possession <laugh>
Last minute equaliser, well late anyway, at home against Burton Albion the other night as well.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:01 am

I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

beatski
England (Kane)
England (Kane)

Post by beatski » Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:07 am

i mean it was pretty pathetic of him to only get a draw away to city

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:15 am

They have been crap for much of the season, that said they were always one of the favourites to go down and from memory he wasn't really given much to spend in summer (could be wrong) so they've pretty much got their Championship team so what do the board expect?
Beatski wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:07 am
i mean it was pretty pathetic of him to only get a draw away to city
From a fans point of view that's annoying. Get absolutely pummelled at home by Palace who had never before scored 5 in a PL match, go away to another relegation rival who haven't trained for the best part of two weeks due to a Covid outbreak and lose 2-1. Then go to an albeit out of form Man C and get a draw.

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:20 am

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:15 am
They have been crap for much of the season, that said they were always one of the favourites to go down and from memory he wasn't really given much to spend in summer (could be wrong) so they've pretty much got their Championship team so what do the board expect?
Exactly right. His job is to try and keep a Championship side in the Premier League, which is just silly.

UlversToon
Argentina (Messi)
Argentina (Messi)

Post by UlversToon » Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:35 am

Fat Sam being linked.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:41 am

UlversToon wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:35 am
Fat Sam being linked.
And Mark Hughes <laugh>

Valentino's fast feet
Senegal (Aboubakar)
Senegal (Aboubakar)

Post by Valentino's fast feet » Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:00 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:41 am
UlversToon wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:35 am
Fat Sam being linked.
And Mark Hughes <laugh>
<schteve> or <carvs>
Previously CIH/Cabella's Invincible Hair

ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by ALF » Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:00 pm

Bilic gone apparently.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:22 pm

Seems nailed on for Big Sam <laugh>

Thought the PL had seen the back of the likes of Allardyce, Hughes, Pulis etc.

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:13 pm

Mrs Allardyce will be scouring the property market, looking for the future "Casa Baggies"

originallad
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by originallad » Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:20 pm

I think it's harsh. He wasn't backed in the Summer and although they've lost most of their games this season, for the most part they've been close games.

Donkey Toon
Croatia (Modric)
Croatia (Modric)

Post by Donkey Toon » Wed Dec 16, 2020 3:51 pm

I'm not a fan of Bilic, but I fail to see how anybody can think getting rid of him and replacing him with Allardyce is a solution. Especially as he was ineffective when last in work and hasn't managed for nearly 3 years. Can they really not think of anybody better!?

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Wed Dec 16, 2020 4:48 pm

Would have thought they’d have learnt their lessons when they appointed Pardew as a past it manager. Thought it’s questionable if Pardew ever had it other than one decent season with us and one with West Ham maybe?

UlversToon
Argentina (Messi)
Argentina (Messi)

Post by UlversToon » Wed Dec 16, 2020 5:22 pm

Fat Sam appointed!

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Sat Dec 19, 2020 12:59 am

These mediocre clubs keep rotating through managers, often the same ol' bunch, and expecting different results. It's no surprise that clubs can't elevate themselves from their current standing when they don't receive significantly more investment or don't given managers time to affect real, lasting change. Not saying Bilic would have turned it around or built them into something more, but with how fast managers are expected to get results these days, I don't know what owners expect to happen.

Valentino's fast feet
Senegal (Aboubakar)
Senegal (Aboubakar)

Post by Valentino's fast feet » Sat Dec 19, 2020 1:22 am

Remember Colo wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 12:59 am
These mediocre clubs keep rotating through managers, often the same ol' bunch, and expecting different results. It's no surprise that clubs can't elevate themselves from their current standing when they don't receive significantly more investment or don't given managers time to affect real, lasting change. Not saying Bilic would have turned it around or built them into something more, but with how fast managers are expected to get results these days, I don't know what owners expect to happen.
I fully agree with what you are saying, but we have employed Bruce, McClaren, Pardew and Allardyce in relatively recent times <laugh>
Previously CIH/Cabella's Invincible Hair

UlversToon
Argentina (Messi)
Argentina (Messi)

Post by UlversToon » Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:43 am

CIH wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 1:22 am
Remember Colo wrote:
I fully agree with what you are saying, but we have employed Bruce, McClaren, Pardew and Allardyce in relatively recent times <laugh>
...and don't forget Kinnear & Carver!! <laugh>

TJR
Mexico (Jiménez)
Mexico (Jiménez)

Post by TJR » Sat Dec 19, 2020 9:44 am

Remember Colo wrote:
That makes no sense as they do want the same result. Expecting a diffeent result from Allerdyce would be relegation. The same result is him coming in and keeping a poor team up as he always does.

Allyerdyce always comes in to a struggling relegation bound club and keeps them up. Did it with Sunderland, Palace and Blackburn. At Bolton and West Ham he went one better, he joined them outside of the Premier League, got them promoted and kept them up. He even got Bolton into Europe.

The only jobs he's struggled in were Newcastle and Everton. But those were diffrent jobs, he had to take mid table teams to the next level but couldn't.

He's not going to get West Brom playing great football and he won't get them knocking on the door of the top 6. However he'll keep them up and that is all they will want. He's been successful everywhere he's been when the job has been to keep a struggling side up so I completely understand why West Brom have gone for him.

Obviously no manager in the world can come in and 100% guarantee saftey. But with Allerdyce's record and the position West Brom are in, he's about as good a bet as it gets and a very good appointment.