Match Thread - Brentford v Newcastle (LC QF)

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Re: Match Thread - Brentford v Newcastle (LC QF)

Post by Don Sholeone » Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:04 pm

I think every fan hopes their ""local lads" would have the passion and desire for their clubs like a Gerrard, Shearer, etc. Even if their ability isn't up there with them you can get by just by bleeding for the club. The problem for me with the Longstaffs is I don't see any of that mindset in them, Yes Sean Longstaff makes mistakes, problem is he shys away when he does, he will lose the ball and jog back whilst he opposition counter burns past him, not to mention his mistakes are pretty abundant and catastrophic. You cannot get away with it when you're skulking round the pitch feeling sorry for yourself rather than trying to makeup for it.

ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by ALF » Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:13 pm

Don Sholeone wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:04 pm
I think every fan hopes their ""local lads" would have the passion and desire for their clubs like a Gerrard, Shearer, etc. Even if their ability isn't up there with them you can get by just by bleeding for the club. The problem for me with the Longstaffs is I don't see any of that mindset in them, Yes Sean Longstaff makes mistakes, problem is he shys away when he does, he will lose the ball and jog back whilst he opposition counter burns past him, not to mention his mistakes are pretty abundant and catastrophic. You cannot get away with it when you're skulking round the pitch feeling sorry for yourself rather than trying to makeup for it.
Yet he covers more ground than anyone else on the pitch.

It says a lot that people blamed him directly for a goal we conceded against Leeds when he was dispossessed in the opposition box and the Leeds attacked with 1 player against 3 defenders.

Captain Obvious
Drunk Control
Drunk Control

Post by Captain Obvious » Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:39 pm

ALF wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:46 pm
Captain Obvious wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:46 pm
Rafa made Sean Longstaff look like a player. There was talk of Manchester United and £50m. Bruce makes him look like a fan who has won a competition. There's only one man to blame here. He's out of his depth. History has shown that time and time again. Sad times.
He made 6 tackles against Fulham. For context our team only made 12. Nice to see he's the new scapegoat. Our fans hate local players, it's f***ing bizarre.
Missed the point completely fella. Sean Longstaff is s*** right now yep, probably the shittest of all the shitters we have playing regularly, but just shows how much of a difference a coach can make. As I said, only one person to blame.

beatski
England (Kane)
England (Kane)

Post by beatski » Thu Dec 24, 2020 1:56 pm

Captain Obvious wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:39 pm
ALF wrote:

He made 6 tackles against Fulham. For context our team only made 12. Nice to see he's the new scapegoat. Our fans hate local players, it's f***ing bizarre.
Missed the point completely fella. Sean Longstaff is s*** right now yep, probably the shittest of all the shitters we have playing regularly,
wasnt even the shittest central mid on the pitch, shelvey made no tackles and the one chance he created wasnt as good as the one longstaff created imo, yet Longstaff is getting the lions share of the stick

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Thu Dec 24, 2020 2:21 pm

To be fair, "not being the shittest central midfielder on the pitch" when playing with Jonjo Shelvey is the most extreme damning with faint praise possible.

ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by ALF » Thu Dec 24, 2020 5:53 pm

Beatski wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 1:56 pm
Captain Obvious wrote:
Missed the point completely fella. Sean Longstaff is s*** right now yep, probably the shittest of all the shitters we have playing regularly,
wasnt even the shittest central mid on the pitch, shelvey made no tackles and the one chance he created wasnt as good as the one longstaff created imo, yet Longstaff is getting the lions share of the stick
Captain Obvious wrote:
ALF wrote:

Missed the point completely fella. Sean Longstaff is s*** right now yep, probably the shittest of all the shitters we have playing regularly, but just shows how much of a difference a coach can make. As I said, only one person to blame.

And Beatski sums up my point perfectly. Longstaff has been outplaying both Shelvey and Hayden whenever he's been in CM with them yet he's getting abuse and others aren't.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Thu Dec 24, 2020 6:00 pm

I thought everyone was getting abuse <laugh>
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?