Match Thread: Arsenal v Newcastle (FA Cup 3rd Round)

originallad
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Re: Match Thread: Arsenal v Newcastle (FA Cup 3rd Round)

Post by originallad » Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:58 pm

Played better than I thought we would. Probably should have won the game in normal time. Totally ran out of gas in extra time though.

Toondes
f uck tha police
f uck tha police

Post by Toondes » Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:59 pm

Absolute s**** as usual. A couple of half chances doesn’t gloss over the fact we are f***ing s****. Out of his depth . f*** you Bruce
# stolen from nufc.com :)

beatski
England (Kane)
England (Kane)

Post by beatski » Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:01 pm

overseasTOON wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:49 pm
Was a good cup run while it lasted.
Going to extra time probably means it's longer than our average FA cup run

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:01 pm

Each to their own, but I think that was far from absolute s*** from us tbh. We created a couple of huge chances against an in form them that we should have taken at least one. For 90 mins we were well organised and they didn’t really have any easy chances that I recall, we also had a lot more of the ball than we normally do. Second half I’d say we were the better side.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Toondes
f uck tha police
f uck tha police

Post by Toondes » Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:03 pm

Winless in 7

Toondes
f uck tha police
f uck tha police

Post by Toondes » Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:08 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:01 pm
Each to their own, but I think that was far from absolute s*** from us tbh. We created a couple of huge chances against an in form them that we should have taken at least one. For 90 mins we were well organised and they didn’t really have any easy chances that I recall, we also had a lot more of the ball than we normally do. Second half I’d say we were the better side.
The marker for playing well is being less s*** than normal though , We aren’t exactly setting the bar high. We had two decent chances and didn’t put them away. Offered nothing else. First have was all Arsenal and we had a decent 20 min spell 2nd half.

Should’ve won it - didn’t deserve to. Aresnal were poor today and were there for the taking but as usual we fail to put teams under pressure.

Scalabrine
Wilson's Loose Tooth

Post by Scalabrine » Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:12 pm

Eliminated of Carabao Cup and FA Cup in a couple on days Brucey will focus on his main objetive: relegated battle. Here we go! <ok>

seaside nipper
Spain (Morata)
Spain (Morata)

Post by seaside nipper » Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:15 pm

Just the usual poor limited hanging in there pish!
Meh

<disgrace>
Clydeside & Tyneside

Scalabrine
Wilson's Loose Tooth

Post by Scalabrine » Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:19 pm

A good debut. <cheers>

ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by ALF » Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:25 pm

Matt Ritchie is beyond terrible now.

Captain Obvious
Drunk Control
Drunk Control

Post by Captain Obvious » Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:07 pm

Who do we play in goal now? Like Darlow has done nothing wrong and 'deserves' to keep the shirt but still suspect Dubrovnik might still be a little bit better. Tricky. Someone out there must need a GK, we'll take your best CM in return.

Valentino's fast feet
Senegal (Aboubakar)
Senegal (Aboubakar)

Post by Valentino's fast feet » Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:09 pm

Captain Obvious wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:07 pm
Who do we play in goal now? Like Darlow has done nothing wrong and 'deserves' to keep the shirt but still suspect Dubrovnik might still be a little bit better. Tricky. Someone out there must need a GK, we'll take your best CM in return.
Bournemouth for Brooks? :bandit:
Previously CIH/Cabella's Invincible Hair

Colback's Orange Tufts
USA USA USA (Pulisic)
USA USA USA (Pulisic)

Post by Colback's Orange Tufts » Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:12 pm

Captain Obvious wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:07 pm
Sharing articles no-one reads since 2012

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:49 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
I honestly just think it came down to a bit of quality. We were organised defensively but with Carroll and Joelinton on we needed someone who can deliver a cross, and that isn't Dummett and Farth (seriously I don't think I've ever seen a worse crosser of the ball than Farth, half of them float out for goal kicks). Had that been Manquillo on the right, and Wilson to put away those two Carroll chances and we win the game.

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:19 pm

Colly wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:49 pm
Bodacious Benny wrote:
I honestly just think it came down to a bit of quality. We were organised defensively but with Carroll and Joelinton on we needed someone who can deliver a cross, and that isn't Dummett and Farth (seriously I don't think I've ever seen a worse crosser of the ball than Farth, half of them float out for goal kicks). Had that been Manquillo on the right, and Wilson to put away those two Carroll chances and we win the game.
Tho in comparison to how bad Ritchie’s crosses were when he came on, Krafth’s didn’t seem too bad!

It was a strange lineup to play a target man but not start any wingers or fullbacks who can put a good cross into the box.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Captain Obvious
Drunk Control
Drunk Control

Post by Captain Obvious » Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:46 pm

I think we've now hit the point where a 3/10 performance is seen as a 6 or 7, because it wasn't a 1/10. We were uninspiring and devoid of any real creativity or genuine threat. But we were better than we can be I accept.

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:55 pm

Captain Obvious wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:46 pm
I think we've now hit the point where a 3/10 performance is seen as a 6 or 7, because it wasn't a 1/10. We were uninspiring and devoid of any real creativity or genuine threat. But we were better than we can be I accept.
Maybe this was the plan that Bruce has been referring to all along...

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:16 pm

ALF wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:25 pm
He's had a horrible season. He's not a fullback or wingback, despite Bruce's insistence in putting him back there. I'm grateful for his first few seasons with us, both in getting us promoted and keeping us up in the first year back in the Prem, but his best is definitely behind him - even if his effort and passion is never in question.

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:17 pm

As for the performance, our defending has been better over the past few weeks, but that won't matter if we can't generate more chances. And I don't know where the tactics or skill necessarily will come from.

Sanchino
http://thesaurus.com/browse/redundant
http://thesaurus.com/browse/redundant

Post by Sanchino » Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:52 pm

Remember Colo wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:16 pm
ALF wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:25 pm
He's had a horrible season. He's not a fullback or wingback, despite Bruce's insistence in putting him back there. I'm grateful for his first few seasons with us, both in getting us promoted and keeping us up in the first year back in the Prem, but his best is definitely behind him - even if his effort and passion is never in question.
This. We should use him a swap deal with Bournmouth for either King or Brook. Even as a winger/wide midfielder he doesn't have the pace or skill to beat most full-backs currently in the Prem as there either quicker or stronger than him. All he has is his endevour, hard-word and his crossing/deliverers (majority of the time those haven't been good enough either). I'll keep on until the end of the season as he's a useful squad player but if we want to improve, do better and further our ambitions in the future Ritchie isn't good enough to be in our strongest XI anymore. Same with Atsu.. our first wingers/wide-forwards with the way we play need to have pace & trickery, that's what ASM and Miggy offer. Joelinton is OK as a alternative.. but even then I think he's best as a supporting striker. Atsu is not good enough at this level and will move on, I think he'll suit a up and coming Championship side trying to gain promotion. Murphy has the pace and has improved compared to a few years ago but the jury's still out on him if he can perform consistently and if his end product/decision making can keep improving, I'll offer him a new contract though his performances have been good enough for that. In conclusion get rid of Atsu, Ritchie & keep Murphy, ASM, Miggy & look to bring in a new winger to compete with them who's not only got pace but can whip in a good cross and has good technique. <ok>