46%

Total votes: 13

Colback's Orange Tufts
USA USA USA (Pulisic)
USA USA USA (Pulisic)

Trust launched 1892 pledge

Post by Colback's Orange Tufts » Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:11 am

https://1892pledge.co.uk/

NUFC trust launching a fund to raise money to buy part of nufc if we do a Sunderland. Or part under new ownership. If mot donate money to charity. Nice idea. Not sure how much we can realistically raise...

Will you pledge?

This article is quite good on how it worked at hearts, albeit Scottish football has less £££ https://theathletic.com/2500929/2021/04 ... ed-article
Sharing articles no-one reads since 2012

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Re: Trust launched 1892 pledge

Post by Bodacious Benny » Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:22 am

Good idea but I'm unsure. If the trust did raise £3m to buy one percent of the club, why would Mike Ashley agree to sell that one percent? £3m is nothing to him and by having the Trust representing the fans having a very small say in the running of the club would probably give him more headaches/annoyance than it's worth. I don't really see what Mike Ashley would get out of that arrangement.

They do say that if they can't buy a stake in the club then money will be donated to NE registered charities so some good will still come of it.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Colback's Orange Tufts
USA USA USA (Pulisic)
USA USA USA (Pulisic)

Post by Colback's Orange Tufts » Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:23 am

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:22 am
Good idea but I'm unsure. If the trust did raise £3m to buy one percent of the club, why would Mike Ashley agree to sell that one percent? £3m is nothing to him and by having the Trust representing the fans having a very small say in the running of the club would probably give him more headaches/annoyance than it's worth. I don't really see what Mike Ashley would get out of that arrangement.

They do say that if they can't buy a stake in the club then money will be donated to NE registered charities so some good will still come of it.
I think the idea is for when Ashley sells they buy a stake then

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:31 am

Colback's Orange Tufts wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:23 am
Bodacious Benny wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:22 am

I think the idea is for when Ashley sells they buy a stake then
Oh right. I guess if a consortium did buy the club in that case then it could potentially feed into that. It's a shame that these Reuben brothers aren't interested on their own.

Fair play to them for trying, most people just sit and moan (on Twitter) rather than try to make a difference.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Colback's Orange Tufts
USA USA USA (Pulisic)
USA USA USA (Pulisic)

Post by Colback's Orange Tufts » Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:35 am

Yeah exactly. And i like the transparency "look it might not work and we'll give the money to charity". Moaners will moan that its negative but at least they have realistic back up plans

Ramone
Interblew
Interblew

Post by Ramone » Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:37 am

I'll probably back this but I can't see it being successful. It relies on three massive assumptions:

1. Enough backing from the fans, last time I looked pledges were only at 2.5k which is about 1000x lower than required
2. Ashley selling the club
3. The new owners being willing to sell off a small chunk of the club to a group whose goals could be in direct opposition to theirs

Even if all of that happens the trust would only own 1% of the club which would not be enough to significantly influence decision making.
REQUIEM

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:39 pm

I'm all for the charitable contribution, but I land where Ramone does, that I really don't see the value in a huge group of people (who wouldn't even generate their own concensus) owning 1% of a football club.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:35 pm

Fans can raise significant money, AFC Wimbledon fans have so far raised almost £10m which has meant they could buy back Plough Lane etc. I agree though that at PL level I'm not sure the value of a fans group owning 1% and in reality having nothing more than a token say on how things are run. Whether it's Ashley or someone else owning the club, they could still do whatever they wanted. It's a nice idea but part of me hopes that the charities end up with the money as it'd be far better served and have more impact for them and people in real need rather than on a football club.

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:08 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:35 pm
Fans can raise significant money, AFC Wimbledon fans have so far raised almost £10m which has meant they could buy back Plough Lane etc. I agree though that at PL level I'm not sure the value of a fans group owning 1% and in reality having nothing more than a token say on how things are run. Whether it's Ashley or someone else owning the club, they could still do whatever they wanted. It's a nice idea but part of me hopes that the charities end up with the money as it'd be far better served and have more impact for them and people in real need rather than on a football club.
For sure, I think there are a lot of good examples of fan-lead football fundraising, but like in your Wimbledon example, if there's something really significant to contribute to, like a stadium, fulsome ownership or saving from bankruptcy, you're more likely to find willing donors.

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:00 pm

It's a nice idea, but I just don't see the point, and I don't have a lot of faith in the Trust in general. Add to that the fact that I'm still against the PIF takeover and they're all for it.

ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by ALF » Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:47 pm

Seems utterly pointless. Even if the fans raise enough to get 1%, will that matter at all? Feel like it will just give some 'super fans' an even bigger sense of entitlement.

Colback's Orange Tufts
USA USA USA (Pulisic)
USA USA USA (Pulisic)

Post by Colback's Orange Tufts » Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:54 pm

Colly wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:00 pm
It's a nice idea, but I just don't see the point, and I don't have a lot of faith in the Trust in general. Add to that the fact that I'm still against the PIF takeover and they're all for it.
Why the lack of faith in the trust?

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:10 pm

They've basically been taking admittedly very small amounts of money from people for years and done very little bar some nice logo rebranding. Then there's amateur nonsense like publishing the Fans Forum minutes when they'd expressly agreed (as all attendees had) not to and getting kicked out...

Speedo
Not at 66-1, f*** that.
Not at 66-1, f*** that.

Post by Speedo » Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:47 pm

I’ve signed up for a regular Direct Debit. I think the chances of it making the impact it wants to are small but real, and I think also if it can get in that position of being able to buy 1%, it’s a start and can be grown over time.

In terms of the comments about the Trust in general - the whole point is it’s a democratic organisation. It supports the PIF takeover because 97% of members do (or did a year ago anyway). And they have much more influence than lone fan groups do. Anything that dilutes Steve Wraith’s voice is good by me...
I had the first custom w***

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:03 pm

And that in itself is a damn good reason why I wouldn't sign up, any more than I'd join the Tory party.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:52 am

The True Faith Podcast did a good show on this, even though I don't think it will succeed it has swung me towards chipping in. They are passionate about what they're trying to do, a lot of work has gone into this and they've got very good custodians of the money so you know it will be put to good use if their plan doesn't pan out.

If nothing else it's a very symbolic movement that shows those in the media who like to stereotype us as deluded that we will take action rather than just moan about the regime, and as I mentioned earlier the money will be given to NE based charities if the plan to buy a stake in the club doesn't come to fruition so it's a win-win.

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:28 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:52 am
The True Faith Podcast did a good show on this, even though I don't think it will succeed it has swung me towards chipping in. They are passionate about what they're trying to do, a lot of work has gone into this and they've got very good custodians of the money so you know it will be put to good use if their plan doesn't pan out.

If nothing else it's a very symbolic movement that shows those in the media who like to stereotype us as deluded that we will take action rather than just moan about the regime, and as I mentioned earlier the money will be given to NE based charities if the plan to buy a stake in the club doesn't come to fruition so it's a win-win.
And to each their own. I guess I just see it as a lose-win though. Because with 1% or even more providing no meaningful stake in the club, especially for any individual within that, you're really just giving more money (in addition to tickets, merch, etc.) to billionaires who don't need it.

gola
ASM's Gucci Headband

Post by gola » Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:56 am

iv pledged, if ur a fan u have to

Donkey Toon
Croatia (Modric)
Croatia (Modric)

Post by Donkey Toon » Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:44 am

A 1% stake is almost meaningless and would be nothing more than symbolism. Also their support of the PIF takeover means they don't represent my wishes for the club is the most meaningful way possible. No way will I be signing on.

Colback's Orange Tufts
USA USA USA (Pulisic)
USA USA USA (Pulisic)

Post by Colback's Orange Tufts » Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:22 am

Donkey Toon wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:44 am
A 1% stake is almost meaningless and would be nothing more than symbolism. Also their support of the PIF takeover means they don't represent my wishes for the club is the most meaningful way possible. No way will I be signing on.
they don't represent my views either, but its what the members voted for. I joined to represent those of us who don't want to be Saudi cheerleaders.