TF International Football Thread

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

TF International Football Thread

Post by Bodacious Benny » Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:16 am

As most on here thankfully aren't bothered about international games thought I'd just make a generic thread.

Nothing to say about England beating a bunch of part-timers yesterday (haven't watched a single second of any matches over the break), but did people see the farce at Argentina v Brazil?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/58431607

<laugh>
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Valentino's fast feet
Senegal (Aboubakar)
Senegal (Aboubakar)

Re: TF International Football Thread

Post by Valentino's fast feet » Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:56 am

Did not realise England were playing last night <laugh>
Previously CIH/Cabella's Invincible Hair

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:05 am

1-0 up after an hour, really showed the Andorran's who was boss <laugh>

Southgate does amuse me sometimes....."I'll pick players based on form"...then Lingaard is in the squad after playing 4 minutes of football this season. So as long as you were in form 4 months ago that's alright then <laugh>
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Speedo
Not at 66-1, f*** that.
Not at 66-1, f*** that.

Post by Speedo » Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:17 am

In truly shocking news, Ryan Fraser has pulled out of the Scotland squad with injury...
I had the first custom w***

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:23 am

Speedo wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:17 am
In truly shocking news, Ryan Fraser has pulled out of the Scotland squad with injury...
<kray>

Making sure he's fit for a place on the bench v Man U this weekend, ready to come on for 90 seconds at the end of the game when we're 5-0 down!

<grin>

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:44 pm

Bloody hell, Scotland won a game!

seaside nipper
Spain (Morata)
Spain (Morata)

Post by seaside nipper » Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:24 pm

Scotland were decent tonight and had a good shape about them. Reduced Austria to frustration and petulance.
Steve Clarke certainly knows his football and is a great tactician and motivator.
I wish after he qualifies us for Qatar that he comes back to Newcastle for unfinished business.
Some chance though , dream on eh ……. 🤣
Clydeside & Tyneside

Valentino's fast feet
Senegal (Aboubakar)
Senegal (Aboubakar)

Post by Valentino's fast feet » Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:34 pm

Didn't realise he was here under Gullit and briefly caretaker manager, had to google that one. Rated him when he was at West Brom, seemed to do a decent enough job there. Can't say I've followed his career much since. Whilst I know the comment is clearly tongue in cheek, not sure he'd leave Scotland after qualifying without taking them to Qatar himself haha. So what I'm saying is, he could be a good choice to take over just before the January 2022 window after the world cup has finished, to try and revitalise our promotion hopes after a disappointing start to Bruce's fourth season <laugh>

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:00 am

Let’s not get carried away, they only beat Moldova 1-0 and didn’t Austria ship in 5 against Israel?

Good to see them picking up back to back wins though, the core of a very good team is there it’s just a shame that there’s absolutely no strength in depth or decent quality in key positions like CB (Hanley…).

Oval85
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Oval85 » Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:51 am

Turkey got smashed by Netherland. We're up against them next and I absolutely hate it.
I think Turkey stopped Norway from getting to a WC or EC 3 times the past 20 years. My worst memories with the national team is against Turkey, and that alone tells you a whole lot.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:15 am

Oval85 wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:51 am
Turkey got smashed by Netherland. We're up against them next and I absolutely hate it.
I think Turkey stopped Norway from getting to a WC or EC 3 times the past 20 years. My worst memories with the national team is against Turkey, and that alone tells you a whole lot.
What is the attitude to international football in Norway?

In England it's very much secondary to club football for the majority of people I'd say. There's a lot of interest in tournament football, but a lot of fans can't be bothered with qualifiers and just see it as getting in the way and disrupting the domestic season. There are something like 4 international breaks between August and Christmas which is ridiculous and I'm definitely of the mind-set that I really don't care at all about international games, I haven't watched a single minute of football during this international break and definitely won't be watching Poland v England later.

Is it different in Norway given that the league / teams isn't high profile so more fans are engaged with the national team doing well?

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Wed Sep 08, 2021 3:14 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:15 am
Oval85 wrote:

In England it's very much secondary to club football for the majority of people I'd say. There's a lot of interest in tournament football, but a lot of fans can't be bothered with qualifiers and just see it as getting in the way and disrupting the domestic season. There are something like 4 international breaks between August and Christmas which is ridiculous and I'm definitely of the mind-set that I really don't care at all about international games, I haven't watched a single minute of football during this international break and definitely won't be watching Poland v England later.

Is it different in Norway given that the league / teams isn't high profile so more fans are engaged with the national team doing well?
I definitely think international qualifiers can feel differently in other countries that don't face the same walkthrough England does. Speaking for Canada - we arguably have our best side in history right now, and moved into the hex round of Concacaf qualifying for the first time in over 20 years. In the past the mens team likely didn't get much love/attention because they had so little chance of qualifying, but right now we probably don't take for granted the opportunity like English fans might because qualifying for Qatar would be such a huge accomplishment after 35 years of futility. Naturally football doesn't have the same scale of fandom here as it does in England, so I'm really just talking about excitement and attitude mong football fans here - not the general population.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Wed Sep 08, 2021 3:56 pm

Remember Colo wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 3:14 pm
Bodacious Benny wrote:

I definitely think international qualifiers can feel differently in other countries that don't face the same walkthrough England does. Speaking for Canada - we arguably have our best side in history right now, and moved into the hex round of Concacaf qualifying for the first time in over 20 years. In the past the mens team likely didn't get much love/attention because they had so little chance of qualifying, but right now we probably don't take for granted the opportunity like English fans might because qualifying for Qatar would be such a huge accomplishment after 35 years of futility. Naturally football doesn't have the same scale of fandom here as it does in England, so I'm really just talking about excitement and attitude mong football fans here - not the general population.
Yeah I bet when there seems to be a bit of hope / chance of qualifying for a major tournament if you're a smaller footballing nation then it really ignites people's interest.

And yes I think that's also the thing with England, they generally walk through the qualifying groups and win more or less every game so it maybe gets a bit boring, or fans know they'll qualify anyway 9 times out of 10. Combine that with the football usually not being particularly exciting it's understandable.

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:40 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 3:56 pm
Remember Colo wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 3:14 pm

Yeah I bet when there seems to be a bit of hope / chance of qualifying for a major tournament if you're a smaller footballing nation then it really ignites people's interest.

And yes I think that's also the thing with England, they generally walk through the qualifying groups and win more or less every game so it maybe gets a bit boring, or fans know they'll qualify anyway 9 times out of 10. Combine that with the football usually not being particularly exciting it's understandable.
And other than some UK rivalries in the recent qualifying rounds, it hasn't even felt like England has had marquis matchups either. Which I guess is a product of the rankings and format, but I'm sure a couple meaningful games against the other big European competitors would draw some extra interest.

Oval85
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Oval85 » Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:41 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Oval85 wrote:

Most people don't care about our own football league. We care more about yours. Our national team has failed so many times people are tired of watching hope and then it slips right at the end. I thought the players had some mental weakness because there was allways one or two who did these stupid mistakes they never made before at crucial moments.
I stopped watching national football for years, just like I stopped watching Newcastle. I started watching again 4-5 years ago when Lagerback became coach. Now I feel lucky that I can watch a norwegian Re-incarnation of Shearer (youth Shearer with speed) Giant rampaging Europe's defence. Van Dijk was dizzy after their meeting last weekend. If Ødegaard can get some more confidence into his legs since it was sucked out of his bones for years in real, it might be fun in the future. Andreas Schjelderup is another star talent who is wrecking havoc in Danish Super League at this moment, 17 years old.
I know it might look like a Poland2.0 but the players on the national team are certainly the best we've had for years.

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:19 pm

f*** me! Scotland won a bloody game?

Looked at last 4 matches and no doubt we'll screw it all up against Moldova and the Faroes to have no chance of a play off.

Valentino's fast feet
Senegal (Aboubakar)
Senegal (Aboubakar)

Post by Valentino's fast feet » Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:40 pm

overseasTOON wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:19 pm
f*** me! Scotland won a bloody game?

Looked at last 4 matches and no doubt we'll screw it all up against Moldova and the Faroes to have no chance of a play off.
Genuine question, are the Faroes classed as a derby game?

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:01 pm

Cabella's Invincible Hair wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:40 pm
overseasTOON wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:19 pm
**** me! Scotland won a bloody game?

Genuine question, are the Faroes classed as a derby game?
Not entirely but there is a grudge.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Wed Oct 06, 2021 3:43 pm

Didn't Southgate claim to pick players based on form?

Stones is in the latest England squad. 0 appearances for Man City so far this season.

Lingard is also in there after a couple of sub appearances for Man U.

Seems that if you were playing good football back in May that must count.

Donkey Toon
Croatia (Modric)
Croatia (Modric)

Post by Donkey Toon » Sat Oct 09, 2021 5:56 pm

Great win for Scotland. Totally deserved as well!