Transfer Deadline Day Thread

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Re: Transfer Deadline Day Thread

Post by Bodacious Benny » Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:58 pm

Yep. And do we think the bottom of the league is as awful as it was last season? I certainly don’t, it was pretty clear that wba, Sheffield United and Fulham would go last season as it got going, I don’t think it’s as clear cut this season.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Donkey Toon
Croatia (Modric)
Croatia (Modric)

Post by Donkey Toon » Tue Sep 07, 2021 6:02 pm

Remember Colo wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 2:24 pm
Bodacious Benny wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:48 pm
Yes, but the fans frustration is the long term neglect of the club. At the moment they’re venting about the summer transfer window just gone, but that’s just the most recent thing in a prolonged and wider frustration which is completely understandable. I don’t think anyone seriously thinks we didn’t have a spare few million for a loan signing or two in today’s game. Something like 10 players left the club this summer and two came in, it’s absurd to think there isn’t a little bit of money there.
We're talking two different things though. I think we all agree, incluing Donkey Toon that we needed further improvements and they're again risking relegation by now making those improvements. But, I don't think they're lying with that statement. I've no doubt if they want to keep breaking even they couldn't spend more - the key thing being that other clubs don't hold themselves to that standard. And if they continue not wanting to dig into the pockets for more debt we'll continue having disappointing transfer windows, because only with operating debt can a club compete for transfers nowadays.
Yeah, I totally agree with the general sentiment that we haven't strengthened enough this summer compared to the teams around us and we are going to be in a relegation battle. My point is that fans transfer expectations and comments on spending are basically "keeping up with the Joneses" expressed in footballing terms. As a case in point, fans of clubs have for decades bemoaned that their club can't compete with the spending of Barcelona, where the announcement that they are 1 billion Euros in debt clearly indicates that Barcelona couldn't afford to spend like Barcelona either.

NUFC is run on a break-even basis when most of our competition isn't so being outspent is neither new nor likely to change anytime soon, so we shouldn't be surprised when it happens. That was my point, I was expressing surprise that people seemed to be surprised. (if that makes sense!?)
Last edited by Donkey Toon on Tue Sep 07, 2021 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Tue Sep 07, 2021 6:56 pm

Donkey Toon wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 6:02 pm
Remember Colo wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 2:24 pm

We're talking two different things though. I think we all agree, incluing Donkey Toon that we needed further improvements and they're again risking relegation by now making those improvements. But, I don't think they're lying with that statement. I've no doubt if they want to keep breaking even they couldn't spend more - the key thing being that other clubs don't hold themselves to that standard. And if they continue not wanting to dig into the pockets for more debt we'll continue having disappointing transfer windows, because only with operating debt can a club compete for transfers nowadays.
Yeah, I totally agree with the general sentiment that we haven't strengthened enough this summer compared to the teams around us and we are going to be in a relegation battle. My point is that fans transfer expectations and comments on spending are basically "keeping up with the Joneses" expressed in footballing terms. As a case in point, fans of clubs have for decades bemoaned that their club can't compete with the spending of Barcelona, where the announcement that they are 1 billion Euros in debt clearly indicates that Barcelona couldn't afford to spend like Barcelona either.

NUFC is run on a break-even basis when most of our competition isn't so being outspent is neither new nor likely to change anytime soon, so we shouldn't be surprised when it happens. That was my point, I was expressing surprise that people seemed to be surprised. (if that makes sense!?)
Totally makes sense. It's totally valid that fans are unhappy that we haven't spent more - I'm definitely unhappy we haven't spent more. But when people say the club are lying and are secretly squirreling away profits while pointing to how much other clubs have spent as proof, there just needs to be acceptance that other clubs are willing to run a deficit every year - especially during the pandemic. Should they? Like you said, Barca are a damning example, but it's all a difference of priorities and finacial risk tolerance.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:10 pm

I didn’t think people were at all surprised.

I’d say the reaction is almost entirely discontent / anger than it is surprise.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:42 pm

Painful.

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Fri Sep 10, 2021 3:34 pm

If you let it play through his last line basically contradicts the first. I'm all for patience with managers but when he basically admits he's failing at his job what's the point?

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:00 am

So two games on a row on the bench for Matty Longstaff at Aberdeen, started well <laugh>

seaside nipper
Spain (Morata)
Spain (Morata)

Post by seaside nipper » Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:40 am

Actually attended this game and tbh nothing much between teams until the Aberdeen red card. I was surprised that Matty went to Aberdeen in the first place , I thought he was better than that lot, clearly not.
They are not great and if he isn’t getting a game, wow.
Best midfielder on the park was Jamie McGrath of St Mirren, a class act whose star is on the rise. Toon could do a lot worse that track him. Ideal replacement for Shelvey, easy.
St mirren have a decent track record in producing midfielders, aka, a certain John McGinn
🤔
Clydeside & Tyneside