England (Kane)

Bruce leaves the club by 'mutual consent'

Post by beatski » Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:45 am

Valentino's fast feet
Senegal (Aboubakar)
Senegal (Aboubakar)

Re: Bruce leaves the club by 'mutual consent'

Post by Valentino's fast feet » Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:48 am

And so it begins. Wonder if we will get a new manager in today? Sounds like they will be in place for Palace, at least.
Previously CIH/Cabella's Invincible Hair

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:53 am

I shall raise a beer or two tonight in celebration.

Alfie
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Alfie » Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:58 am

No surprise there, hopefully they've spent the last week getting a replacement lined up.
And in conclusion, how far had you got through reading this before you realised it was my signature?

biggeordiedave
Living in his head rent free

Post by biggeordiedave » Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:07 am

Cabella's Invincible Hair wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:48 am
And so it begins. Wonder if we will get a new manager in today? Sounds like they will be in place for Palace, at least.
Graeme Jones will lead the team on an interim basis, starting with Saturday's trip to Crystal Palace, and will be supported by the coaching team of Steve Agnew, Stephen Clemence, Ben Dawson and Simon Smith.
Doesn't sound like it will be that quick.
Kindly deeds done for free!

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:11 am

"Coach" made me laugh.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Gawalls
Wood's Touch

Post by Gawalls » Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:11 am

We now need to be looking for a manager whose gonna do the hard work at first, somebody whose got experience managing clubs like Sheffield Wednesday, hull and Sunderland.

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:17 am

Gawalls wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:11 am
We now need to be looking for a manager whose gonna do the hard work at first, somebody whose got experience managing clubs like Sheffield Wednesday, hull and Sunderland.
Hmm. It'd be easier to find a needle in a haystack.

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:20 am

Full disclosure: I didn't want him to fail, and it was only when it was clear he was a tactically inept cabbage head that I called him a tactically inept cabbage head.

Speedo
Not at 66-1, f*** that.
Not at 66-1, f*** that.

Post by Speedo » Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:30 am

Finally. Good decision.

RE: Graeme Jones as Interim Manager rather than just a caretaker, I'm OK with this. Gives us a couple of weeks to sort out our whole structure, including the Sporting Director and Head Coach. I think ideally we'd have both of those before Brighton (6th Nov), so the new manager has time with the squad over the international break. But if Jones can get a win against Palace, then it could be an OK solution for a bit longer (through our horrendous Christmas fixture period, perhaps, with a new manager starting vs. Southampton on 2nd Jan).
I had the first custom w***

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:30 am

For me, the difficult part of Steve' s tenure was that I really like cabbage; so to use something I enjoy in a derogatory way was quite conflicting.

Thankfully now I will no longer have to spend additional minutes in a supermarket apologising to a vegetable.

beatski
England (Kane)
England (Kane)

Post by beatski » Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:36 am

Colly wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:20 am

Full disclosure: I didn't want him to fail, and it was only when it was clear he was a tactically inept cabbage head that I called him a tactically inept cabbage head.
No one wanted him to fail, everyone just knew he would. If he could put together a coherent side capable of playing football and winning, we wouldnt be here

lassassinblanc
Netherlands (Gini)
Netherlands (Gini)

Post by lassassinblanc » Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:39 am

Colly wrote:

These quotes from him are heartbreaking, as I always said I think he did as good a job as he could under an Ownership who pretty much told him how high he could jump despite him wanting to jump higher.

He got a lot of unwarranted criticism at times which as I've said when Rafa was in charge was directed towards Ashley rather then the manager.

Despite what his criticisers said he did care a lot about the club and only wanted what was best. A lot of his bad periods came at points where we either had terrible injury, covid issues or just a really tough run of fixtures but once we got our better players back we improved.

I'll just point out too I'm happy to see him go and look forward to what a new ideas will bring to the team.

But I'll always say <applause> to him as above he done his best under difficult circumstances
I'll Hazard a guess

Colback's Orange Tufts
USA USA USA (Pulisic)
USA USA USA (Pulisic)

Post by Colback's Orange Tufts » Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:55 am

lassassinblanc wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:39 am

These quotes from him are heartbreaking, as I always said I think he did as good a job as he could under an Ownership who pretty much told him how high he could jump despite him wanting to jump higher.

He got a lot of unwarranted criticism at times which as I've said when Rafa was in charge was directed towards Ashley rather then the manager.

Despite what his criticisers said he did care a lot about the club and only wanted what was best. A lot of his bad periods came at points where we either had terrible injury, covid issues or just a really tough run of fixtures but once we got our better players back we improved.

I'll just point out too I'm happy to see him go and look forward to what a new ideas will bring to the team.

But I'll always say <applause> to him as above he done his best under difficult circumstances
Until the last six months I would tend to agree with you. But the run we had last winter was awful with the players we had.
And blaming fans for "mass hysteria" and being arsey when asked perfectly fine questions soured me on him. And like dropping Darlow but not telling anyone.
https://theathletic.com/2881697/2021/10 ... ally-over/ this article sums it up really
Sharing articles no-one reads since 2012

seaside nipper
Spain (Morata)
Spain (Morata)

Post by seaside nipper » Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:55 am

The fact that SB talks about this being his last job, that he’ll retire says it all.
He should never have been given the job anyway, ten years ago maybe possibly, but not more recently.
The game has moved on from ‘his style’
Clydeside & Tyneside

biggeordiedave

Post by biggeordiedave » Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:28 am

I feel bad for him in the sense that it has been a horrible job for him from pretty much day one. He has suffered lots of unnecessary abuse and his family have probably been through hell with it too.

He absolutely deserves credit for the 12th and 13th place seasons, but overall the game has moved on and top flight clubs really can't be looking to managers like him anymore.

biggeordiedave

Post by biggeordiedave » Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:39 am

Do we need to be careful what we wish for yet?

Oval85
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Oval85 » Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:44 am

Colly wrote:

At least he heard what people were saying about him... <whistle>

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:46 am

lassassinblanc wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:39 am
Colly wrote:

Some fair points, and whatever people think of his ability football wise I don't condone in any way the people who level personal abuse at him (or any other person doing a job). It was the same with Pardew, sure - if you didn't like his management then criticise him for that, but personal abuse is totally unwarranted.

I'd say the last 2 seasons he has done okay generally, all things considered. I do think a lot of it was in spite of him though rather than down to him.

This season has been an unmitigated disaster though, and the blame for that is solely at his feet. Injuries haven't been too bad, but his baffling selections, tactics and playing players out of position has completely sunk us. Why hasn't Lewis had a chance? Why doesn't Fraser get a chance on the wing (rather than cameo's at CM), why is Gayle sitting on a new 3 year contract yet doesn't ever feature, why is Schar not featuring, why is our best DM regularly played at CB, why do no young players ever get a chance...the list goes on. His choice of language when talking about the fans was also poorly thought out.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:50 am

You know it was bad under Bruce when his sacking makes you as excited as you did when the takeover finally went through