New Manager: Eddie Howe Confirmed

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Re: New Manager: Eddie Howe Confirmed

Post by Don Sholeone » Tue Nov 09, 2021 5:03 pm

Club released a 30 second training clip and Eddie is telling them too many of them are standing still and not creating their own space and passing lanes to receive the ball. I've been mentioning this for far too long and it baffles me that someone like Bruce doesn't pick up on these things, yes I know he has limited ability but surely this is a basic concept that should have been picked up over the course of his career.

This little detail is why I have a lot of sympathy for Joelinton, people tear him to shreds when he loses the ball but never mention him being crowded out by 3 defenders with nobody helping him out by making themselves an option for the pass.

I honestly think small details and adjustments like this will make a world of difference in our games.

Gawalls
Wood's Touch

Post by Gawalls » Tue Nov 09, 2021 6:09 pm

Don Sholeone wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 5:03 pm
Club released a 30 second training clip and Eddie is telling them too many of them are standing still and not creating their own space and passing lanes to receive the ball. I've been mentioning this for far too long and it baffles me that someone like Bruce doesn't pick up on these things, yes I know he has limited ability but surely this is a basic concept that should have been picked up over the course of his career.

This little detail is why I have a lot of sympathy for Joelinton, people tear him to shreds when he loses the ball but never mention him being crowded out by 3 defenders with nobody helping him out by making themselves an option for the pass.

I honestly think small details and adjustments like this will make a world of difference in our games.
You almost make it sound like we'll have a plan, so not used to that in recent years.

If you plan to fail - you hire Steve Bruce is all I've been used to recently.

TJR
Mexico (Jiménez)
Mexico (Jiménez)

Post by TJR » Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:00 pm

Players look knackered <laugh>

At least he'll get them fot if nothing else. Good to see him training with a bit of intensity. Mind Shelvey won't have a clue what to do now he's not allowed to just stand still.

seaside nipper
Spain (Morata)
Spain (Morata)

Post by seaside nipper » Tue Nov 09, 2021 11:33 pm

TJR wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:00 pm
Players look knackered <laugh>

At least he'll get them fot if nothing else. Good to see him training with a bit of intensity. Mind Shelvey won't have a clue what to do now he's not allowed to just stand still.

Best Highlights of the season so far…..new broom sweeps clean and all that …..
I’m sure the new regime will soon sort out the pros from the malingerers.
Be good to hear the players feedback in due course, who’s buzzing and responsive about it and who’s gonna slide out the picture.
<erm>

Nice to feel the club is heading back to some kind of new improved normal.
On that note I see Super Mac is discussing an ambassadorial role of sorts after being “banned ” by the last lot

Definitely a better vibe thus far ….. early days of course but nice to at least feel optimistic and positive.
Clydeside & Tyneside

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Tue Nov 09, 2021 11:46 pm

Hopefully the intense sessions continue, going to be a wake up call for a lot of players in that squad, think we will soon see who stays and who goes. Also can see this making or breaking Saint-Maximin with us, there is always talk about him being late and always fined etc, Dont think the flashy skills will have Howe looking past that side of him.

Valentino's fast feet
Senegal (Aboubakar)
Senegal (Aboubakar)

Post by Valentino's fast feet » Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:34 am

I'm getting excited the more that comes out about him. Feel mildly ashamed that I was mildly disappointed when he came back into the frame. Would have snapped arms off to have him under Ashley, and was without really understanding what he could potentially build for us. I've been a big advocate for Graham Potter throughout all of this, but all the reasons I would want Potter, I now realise Howe represents as well. I'm already feeling impressed, and the strategically leaked training stuff from the club looks belting so far. The club has been in uch disarray at such a basic level, it really isn't going to take much to make a significant impact, at least to start with.

Someone said earlier that Brentford is a good starting match for Howe, and after an international break to work with most of the squad as well. I might book the day off work haha, looking forwards to that game.
Previously CIH/Cabella's Invincible Hair

Gawalls
Wood's Touch

Post by Gawalls » Wed Nov 10, 2021 6:21 am

Cabella's Invincible Hair wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:34 am
I'm getting excited the more that comes out about him. Feel mildly ashamed that I was mildly disappointed when he came back into the frame. Would have snapped arms off to have him under Ashley, and was without really understanding what he could potentially build for us. I've been a big advocate for Graham Potter throughout all of this, but all the reasons I would want Potter, I now realise Howe represents as well. I'm already feeling impressed, and the strategically leaked training stuff from the club looks belting so far. The club has been in uch disarray at such a basic level, it really isn't going to take much to make a significant impact, at least to start with.

Someone said earlier that Brentford is a good starting match for Howe, and after an international break to work with most of the squad as well. I might book the day off work haha, looking forwards to that game.
Good post,. For everybody's sake I hope we get a win against Brentford just to turn a corner and get that monkey of our backs so to speak.

Don't care how we get those 3 points but just get them sooner rather than later just for everybody's state of mind (players included).

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:35 am

Brentford is an absolute must win for sure. As is Norwich in the following home game.

Despite where we are in the league, there's still a renewed sense of optimism around the club and we need to use that to start picking up wins. Draws away at Palace and Brighton were good results (Palace we could easily have lost, Brighton we could have won so kind of balances out) but the next two home games are absolute must wins when you look at the fixtures we're facing in December.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Valentino's fast feet
Senegal (Aboubakar)
Senegal (Aboubakar)

Post by Valentino's fast feet » Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:20 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:35 am
Brentford is an absolute must win for sure. As is Norwich in the following home game.

Despite where we are in the league, there's still a renewed sense of optimism around the club and we need to use that to start picking up wins. Draws away at Palace and Brighton were good results (Palace we could easily have lost, Brighton we could have won so kind of balances out) but the next two home games are absolute must wins when you look at the fixtures we're facing in December.
We aren't realistically in that much trouble, couple draws under Jones has helped in fairness. Palace one not really deserved and the Chelsea game in between was always a loss. Those next two games are very very winnable. If we do manage that, we could be potentially out of the relegation zone already. Not to mention dealing a blow to two relegation rivals. Or one definitely, with Norwich
Previously CIH/Cabella's Invincible Hair

Captain Obvious
Drunk Control
Drunk Control

Post by Captain Obvious » Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:30 pm

The best and worst thing is having to wait 14 days for our next game. Great because it gives him 2 weeks to try and implement as much improvement as possible but the worst because I just can't wait to watch the game. I think even in 2 weeks we could see noticeable improvement.

Oval85
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Oval85 » Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:54 pm

Captain Obvious wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:30 pm
The best and worst thing is having to wait 14 days for our next game. Great because it gives him 2 weeks to try and implement as much improvement as possible but the worst because I just can't wait to watch the game. I think even in 2 weeks we could see noticeable improvement.
Piece of cake. Imagine waiting 14 days on a new manager. <whistle>
Jokes aside, giving him 14 days to work with the squad when the media will probably concentrate on international football is just perfect for him and our squad. There has been enough media surrounding Newcastle the past month and I bet the players have been talking about is well.
Now there is no more questions around the first team coach and staff, and the players can finally work towards stay in EPL.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:31 pm

I agree, the timing of the international break is an absolute godsend and gives him the best part of 2 weeks to drill the majority of the squad.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Micky Quim
PSA Chairman
PSA Chairman

Post by Micky Quim » Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:51 pm

I hope he gets off to a good start but you cant work miracles in such a short period of time

Donkey Toon
Croatia (Modric)
Croatia (Modric)

Post by Donkey Toon » Wed Nov 10, 2021 3:19 pm

Decent interview. Hadn't realised how hard his start in management was. Totally counters some of my mistaken beliefs about his ability to succeed in a relegation dogfight. Also love his lack of bs, honest answers and continual use of the word "we", shows lack of ego and acknowledgement of his team of coaches.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZdMRCFjvaA

Timshorts

Post by Timshorts » Wed Nov 10, 2021 3:59 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:35 am

Given that Brentford have given three points to burnley and Norwich in their last two league games, it seems only fair that they should even matters up. I doubt that any club has lost to all of the bottom 3 in 3 successive games before.

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Wed Nov 10, 2021 4:08 pm

Interesting question asked to Howe in the press conference, apparently Michael Edwards (Liverpool's SD) is going to be leaving Liverpool today and Howe was asked if he will be coming here as they have a good relationship. Howe denied knowing anything about it.

The reaction from Liverpool fans is quite telling, pretty much in meltdown at the thought of him leaving and coming here, also seems a bit of a shock that he's allegedly leaving today.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Wed Nov 10, 2021 4:30 pm

3 of our next 4 games: Brentford (h), Norwich (h), Burnley (h) - let’s f***ing have it!

Captain Obvious
Drunk Control
Drunk Control

Post by Captain Obvious » Wed Nov 10, 2021 4:43 pm

Don Sholeone wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 4:08 pm
Interesting question asked to Howe in the press conference, apparently Michael Edwards (Liverpool's SD) is going to be leaving Liverpool today and Howe was asked if he will be coming here as they have a good relationship. Howe denied knowing anything about it.

The reaction from Liverpool fans is quite telling, pretty much in meltdown at the thought of him leaving and coming here, also seems a bit of a shock that he's allegedly leaving today.
He's leaving Liverpool at the end of the season and isn't joining us.

Tsi
Suisse (topless man)
Suisse (topless man)

Post by Tsi » Wed Nov 10, 2021 5:14 pm

Captain Obvious wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 4:43 pm
Don Sholeone wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 4:08 pm

He's leaving Liverpool at the end of the season and isn't joining us.
s*** source sry my bad <whistle>

Oval85
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Oval85 » Wed Nov 10, 2021 6:50 pm

The usual journalism flatness. They all hate us and even more so now, so some of them tries to break every hope by telling negative lies, then the other part is telling positive lies which is worse for the faint hearted.
Even with this journalist saying it's not happening, it is basically 50/50. We will get a good one I'm sure.
Howe working with Edwards in Portsmouth. They know each other and it's been told they are pretty close friends.
But still, it seems that this guy has something bigger on his mind, and there was rumours a month ago about him going to Real Madrid.