Benitez: "I'd like to stay for five or ten years."

CIH
Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder

Benitez: "I'd like to stay for five or ten years."

Post by CIH » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:20 am

<awe> <awe>
SpoilerShow
Rafa Benitez is keen to stay at Newcastle for "five or 10 years" provided the club's ownership supports him in improving the squad.

Benitez took over in 2016 and could not stop the side from being relegated to the Championship, but then returned them to the Premier League the following year before securing a 10th-place finish last season.

The 58-year-old is in discussions with owner Mike Ashley over a contract extension, but Benitez has voiced concerns regarding the club's operations off the pitch.

"I'd like to stay here for five years or 10 years if it's possible because I can see the potential, the fans and the city. Everybody (needs to be) pushing in the right direction," Benitez was quoted as saying by Chronicle Live.

"But we have to do things like I imagine has to be done in a football club."

Newcastle's recruitment policy has often been the main point of friction between Benitez and Ashley.

The Magpies have already brought in South Korean midfielder Ki Sung-Yueng from Swansea this summer
The Magpies have already brought in South Korean midfielder Ki Sung-Yueng from Swansea this summer
The club have acquired three players in the current window - Ki Sung-Yueng and goalkeeper Martin Dubravka permanently and Kenedy on loan.

Benitez, though, is keen for further recruitment despite being hindered by a steep rise in transfer fees.

"It is difficult because the prices have gone very high for everyone. Some people say: 'Oh the deadline is the problem'. It's not," Benitez added.

"If you are ready and you do what you have to do there is plenty of time. It's just to be sure when you go for a player you make sure you sign him.

"You don't want to waste too much time so you know more or less then you go (for it) and that's it."
http://www.skysports.com/football/news/ ... -direction

Seems to me like he's trying to force Ashley's hand to get backing this window and beyond, but regardless of the motivation he's saying the right things. I really really hope this is the start of something wonderful.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Club Member
Whiskey Club Member

Re: Benitez: "I'd like to stay for five or ten years."

Post by Bodacious Benny » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:38 am

Given the right backing Rafa could really build something special here, he's already laid the foundations. It doesn't sound like he's asking for silly money, just enough to match our competitors.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Chappy
10 Champs Bronze
10 Champs Bronze

Post by Chappy » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:58 am

Blještav Benny wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:38 am
Given the right backing Rafa could really build something special here, he's already laid the foundations. It doesn't sound like he's asking for silly money, just enough to match our competitors.
Yeah, he's involved with absolutely everything. I hope he stays - it's in Ashley's hands though.
It’s the noise, the passion, the feeling of belonging, the pride in your city.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Club Member
Whiskey Club Member

Post by Bodacious Benny » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:07 am

Chappy Al-Shabab wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:58 am
Blještav Benny wrote:
Yeah, he's involved with absolutely everything. I hope he stays - it's in Ashley's hands though.
Well the Spain job has been filled so at least they can't tempt him!
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

TBC
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by TBC » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:11 am

Chappy Al-Shabab wrote:
Blještav Benny wrote:
<ashley>

Plate of Barszcz for me
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Plate of Barszcz for me » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:54 am

TBC wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:11 am
Chappy Al-Shabab wrote:

<ashley>
<urgh>

CIH
Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder

Post by CIH » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:36 pm

Blještav Benny wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:07 am
Chappy Al-Shabab wrote:

Well the Spain job has been filled so at least they can't tempt him!
I was never too worried about Spain. The kind of guy he is, doubt he'd want to go into the semi retirement of international football any time soon. When he left Madrid he was coaching a school team on the Wirral