The saint

User avatar
Toondes
f uck tha police
f uck tha police
Posts: 8102
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:23 pm
Location: Newcastle, High Heaton

The saint

Post by Toondes » Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:35 am

Wasn’t sure where to post this but these stats are fantastic or tragic depending on how you see it .

# stolen from nufc.com :)

User avatar
Sir Bobby
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster
Posts: 3481
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:23 pm
Location: Sheffield

Re: The saint

Post by Sir Bobby » Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:31 pm

Head and shoulders above the rest of our team

User avatar
Toondes
f uck tha police
f uck tha police
Posts: 8102
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:23 pm
Location: Newcastle, High Heaton

Re: The saint

Post by Toondes » Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:58 pm

Agreed , keeping him fit is the issue !
# stolen from nufc.com :)

Colly
Forum Legend
Forum Legend
Posts: 6006
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:44 pm
Location: Billingham

Re: The saint

Post by Colly » Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:20 pm

I think you've always got to think about these things, he's undoubtedly the kind of exciting player we need, but given when he's injured his replacement is usually Atsu I'd fancy my stats too...

My worry is that defenders are going to find him out fairly quickly after a run of games, that cut in and right foot shot is so obvious. If he can start to do the easy stuff right and play the pass when it's on in the penalty area he'll be far more effective.

CIH
Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder
Posts: 1914
Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:07 am

Re: The saint

Post by CIH » Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:21 pm

Colly wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:20 pm
I think you've always got to think about these things, he's undoubtedly the kind of exciting player we need, but given when he's injured his replacement is usually Atsu I'd fancy my stats too...

My worry is that defenders are going to find him out fairly quickly after a run of games, that cut in and right foot shot is so obvious. If he can start to do the easy stuff right and play the pass when it's on in the penalty area he'll be far more effective.
Yeah, he did that cut in quite a few times against Oxford. Ultimately it lead to a brilliant goal to clinch it, but he tried the same thing a good three or four times at least to no avail.

User avatar
Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Club Member
Whiskey Club Member
Posts: 28064
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:18 am

Re: The saint

Post by Bodacious Benny » Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:36 pm

I’d rather see someone like that trying to make something happen than some aimless pump into the box or endless sideways passing - football should be entertaining, not turgid.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

User avatar
Toondes
f uck tha police
f uck tha police
Posts: 8102
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:23 pm
Location: Newcastle, High Heaton

Re: The saint

Post by Toondes » Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:59 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:36 pm
I’d rather see someone like that trying to make something happen than some aimless pump into the box or endless sideways passing - football should be entertaining, not turgid.
This.
Would rather he tried it 100 times a game than watching our normal efforts
# stolen from nufc.com :)

CIH
Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder
Posts: 1914
Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:07 am

Re: The saint

Post by CIH » Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:00 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:36 pm
I’d rather see someone like that trying to make something happen than some aimless pump into the box or endless sideways passing - football should be entertaining, not turgid.
Yeah, I didn't mean that as a criticism, more agreeing with the earlier point. Definitely an exciting player to watch. Hopefully he can start adding more end product.

Colly
Forum Legend
Forum Legend
Posts: 6006
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:44 pm
Location: Billingham

Re: The saint

Post by Colly » Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:31 pm

He's absolutely exciting but against Premier League defenders you need more than one move. Let's not forget before the goal he was having an utter stinker, and the less said about the home tie the better. I really like him (he's in my Draft fantasy team...) but I'm not reading anything into this stat other than "we only have two decent attacking players".

User avatar
Captain Obvious
Drunk Control
Drunk Control
Posts: 5964
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:09 am

Re: The saint

Post by Captain Obvious » Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:51 am

Those stats must be taken with a pinch of salt

User avatar
Beatski
Punderful
Punderful
Posts: 22720
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:19 pm
Location: The Dangerzone

Re: The saint

Post by Beatski » Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:58 pm

Colly wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:31 pm
He's absolutely exciting but against Premier League defenders you need more than one move. Let's not forget before the goal he was having an utter stinker, and the less said about the home tie the better. I really like him (he's in my Draft fantasy team...) but I'm not reading anything into this stat other than "we only have two decent attacking players".
Really? Who's the other one? <roll>

Colly
Forum Legend
Forum Legend
Posts: 6006
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:44 pm
Location: Billingham

Re: The saint

Post by Colly » Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:22 pm

Almiron.

Online
User avatar
ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies
Posts: 20812
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:46 pm
Location: Down Sowf

Re: The saint

Post by ALF » Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:48 pm

He's a huge player for us. He's similar to HBA, he might seem slightly one dimensional with the cutting inside but sometimes that doesn't matter. When you're that good at dribbling you can still beat the man.

User avatar
Remember Colo
Forum Legend
Forum Legend
Posts: 9857
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:57 am
Location: Toronto

Re: The saint

Post by Remember Colo » Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:38 am

ALF wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:48 pm
He's a huge player for us. He's similar to HBA, he might seem slightly one dimensional with the cutting inside but sometimes that doesn't matter. When you're that good at dribbling you can still beat the man.
People stupidly criticised Arjen Robben his entire career for having one move, and he was one of the most dangerous wingers on earth for a decade. Now obviously ASM isn't of his quality, but I've always thought the predictability criticism is a bit lazy towards creative players.

User avatar
Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Club Member
Whiskey Club Member
Posts: 28064
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:18 am

Re: The saint

Post by Bodacious Benny » Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:06 pm

To add a post to the forum today...

It's also good to see a player who genuinely seems happy to be playing for us rather than just here for a payday. Remember days gone by with washed up expensive 'stars' such as Geremi, Owen, Duff etc. just here for money and clearly never really gave a f***?
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Online
User avatar
ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies
Posts: 20812
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:46 pm
Location: Down Sowf

Re: The saint

Post by ALF » Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:59 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:06 pm
To add a post to the forum today...

It's also good to see a player who genuinely seems happy to be playing for us rather than just here for a payday. Remember days gone by with washed up expensive 'stars' such as Geremi, Owen, Duff etc. just here for money and clearly never really gave a f***?
It's a small thing but his interaction with fans on twitter is brilliant. Could never see someone like Owen doing that.

User avatar
Remember Colo
Forum Legend
Forum Legend
Posts: 9857
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:57 am
Location: Toronto

Re: The saint

Post by Remember Colo » Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:14 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:06 pm
To add a post to the forum today...

It's also good to see a player who genuinely seems happy to be playing for us rather than just here for a payday. Remember days gone by with washed up expensive 'stars' such as Geremi, Owen, Duff etc. just here for money and clearly never really gave a f***?
It's true. I don't think there's anything wrong with players having the ambition to want to move onto other clubs eventually, but at least enjoy your stay and put in the work while you're here!

User avatar
krully
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster
Posts: 4798
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:14 pm
Location: Ireland

Re: The saint

Post by krully » Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:59 pm

hes the modern player for the modern fan.

But dubravka is more important

User avatar
Beatski
Punderful
Punderful
Posts: 22720
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:19 pm
Location: The Dangerzone

Re: The saint

Post by Beatski » Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:26 pm

krully wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:59 pm
hes the modern player for the modern fan.

But dubravka is more important
Woodman 2020

Ivan Drago
Darlow's Do
Posts: 22
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:30 am

Re: The saint

Post by Ivan Drago » Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:31 pm

We should try and trick Aguero into signing for Nufc, he needs a challenge, he looks at all of his medals and trophies and must think he would swap it all to struggle in 16th place for Newcastle United. Being able to play along side some of the best finishers in the Leauge. Training with some quality strikers will be replaced by goal machine defenders. Also Joelinton may still be there.

Post Reply