Man C no longer banned from European Competition for 2 years

User avatar
originallad
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2173
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:19 am
Location: Greater Manchester

Re: Man C banned from European Competition for 2 years

Post by originallad » Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:09 am

So a 5th place finish is back to Europa League?

UlversToon
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster
Posts: 4917
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:52 pm
Location: Cumbria

Re: Man C banned from European Competition for 2 years

Post by UlversToon » Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:15 am

originallad wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:09 am
So a 5th place finish is back to Europa League?
Presumably and possibly both 6th & 7th depending upon who wins the FA Cup.

User avatar
Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Club Member
Whiskey Club Member
Posts: 28769
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:18 am

Re: Man C no longer banned from European Competition for 2 years

Post by Bodacious Benny » Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:42 am

Makes the fight for the last CL spot more interesting as there’s no extra spot for someone to sneak into.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

UlversToon
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster
Posts: 4917
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:52 pm
Location: Cumbria

Re: Man C no longer banned from European Competition for 2 years

Post by UlversToon » Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:44 am

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:42 am
Makes the fight for the last CL spot more interesting as there’s no extra spot for someone to sneak into.
Especially with Leicester being at home to Man Utd in their last game of the season.

User avatar
Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic
Posts: 10096
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:57 am
Location: Toronto

Re: Man C no longer banned from European Competition for 2 years

Post by Remember Colo » Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:16 pm

They need to overhaul the whole system, and decide what they actually want its purpose to be. Are they trying to save overspending owners from themselves? Or encourage some sort of parity among clubs/leagues? In trying to do both they've instead achieved neither. Oh, and then actually make it enforceable!

User avatar
TJR
10 Champs Chump
10 Champs Chump
Posts: 11631
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:41 pm
Location: Newcastle
Contact:

Re: Man C banned from European Competition for 2 years

Post by TJR » Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:42 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:02 am
What a joke - you can effectively spend your way out of spending regulations, no more FFP after this...
Good news for our new owners when they take over!

User avatar
Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Club Member
Whiskey Club Member
Posts: 28769
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:18 am

Re: Man C banned from European Competition for 2 years

Post by Bodacious Benny » Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:10 pm

TJR wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:42 pm
Bodacious Benny wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:02 am
What a joke - you can effectively spend your way out of spending regulations, no more FFP after this...
Good news for our new owners when they take over!
Friday announcement according to Richard Keys <laugh>
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

User avatar
Scalabrine
Bruce's Cabbage
Posts: 266
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 2:14 pm
Location: Spain.

Re: Man C banned from European Competition for 2 years

Post by Scalabrine » Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:20 pm

Ivan Drago wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:44 pm
Banned for dodgy sponsorship deals. UEFA should investigate our own "Deal" with SD, 12 years at £0 a season plus a cut of all Nufc merchandise is far worse than a owner pumping his own money into the Club to win trophies.
At the same time Spain' government helps Real Madrid & Barcelona out with handouts in the form of huge sponsorship deals
What? <laugh>
Image

Don Sholeone
BSN Correspondant
BSN Correspondant
Posts: 9817
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:41 pm

Re: Man C banned from European Competition for 2 years

Post by Don Sholeone » Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:50 pm

Scalabrine wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:20 pm
Ivan Drago wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:44 pm
Banned for dodgy sponsorship deals. UEFA should investigate our own "Deal" with SD, 12 years at £0 a season plus a cut of all Nufc merchandise is far worse than a owner pumping his own money into the Club to win trophies.
At the same time Spain' government helps Real Madrid & Barcelona out with handouts in the form of huge sponsorship deals
What? <laugh>
https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... s-brussels

Don Sholeone
BSN Correspondant
BSN Correspondant
Posts: 9817
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:41 pm

Re: Man C no longer banned from European Competition for 2 years

Post by Don Sholeone » Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:00 pm

Remember Colo wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:16 pm
They need to overhaul the whole system, and decide what they actually want its purpose to be. Are they trying to save overspending owners from themselves? Or encourage some sort of parity among clubs/leagues? In trying to do both they've instead achieved neither. Oh, and then actually make it enforceable!
The purpose has and always will be brand protection. Imagine a competition without Man Utd, Chelsea, Juventus, Real Madrid, Barca, Bayern etc. teams like man city and the rise of other footballing superpowers can knock these teams off their james perches, clubs that will be less attractive globally than the aforementioned clubs. It would hurt tv deals and sponsorship because the audience has the potential to dip. These clubs are far too popular and well established as the elite for it all to be risked by allowing the rise of new teams.

User avatar
Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic
Posts: 10096
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:57 am
Location: Toronto

Re: Man C no longer banned from European Competition for 2 years

Post by Remember Colo » Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:26 pm

Don Sholeone wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:00 pm
Remember Colo wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:16 pm
They need to overhaul the whole system, and decide what they actually want its purpose to be. Are they trying to save overspending owners from themselves? Or encourage some sort of parity among clubs/leagues? In trying to do both they've instead achieved neither. Oh, and then actually make it enforceable!
The purpose has and always will be brand protection. Imagine a competition without Man Utd, Chelsea, Juventus, Real Madrid, Barca, Bayern etc. teams like man city and the rise of other footballing superpowers can knock these teams off their james perches, clubs that will be less attractive globally than the aforementioned clubs. It would hurt tv deals and sponsorship because the audience has the potential to dip. These clubs are far too popular and well established as the elite for it all to be risked by allowing the rise of new teams.
That's been the outcome, but nobody is nor was going to outspend those clubs, with or without FFP, so nobody can convince me that's why they made the system the way then did. I think they naively thought they would keep the spending of big clubs in check while discouraging other clubs from outspending their means, but the big clubs are way too powerful to actually enforce the rules.

User avatar
Scalabrine
Bruce's Cabbage
Posts: 266
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 2:14 pm
Location: Spain.

Re: Man C banned from European Competition for 2 years

Post by Scalabrine » Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:33 pm

Don Sholeone wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:50 pm
Scalabrine wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:20 pm


What? <laugh>
https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... s-brussels
Image

Image
Image

User avatar
Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Club Member
Whiskey Club Member
Posts: 28769
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:18 am

Re: Man C no longer banned from European Competition for 2 years

Post by Bodacious Benny » Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:38 am

So Sheffield Wednesday get a 12 point deduction for next season for over spending...if they had the money that man c have then they could’ve got away with it. fFP is a joke.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

UlversToon
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster
Posts: 4917
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:52 pm
Location: Cumbria

Re: Man C no longer banned from European Competition for 2 years

Post by UlversToon » Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:45 am

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:38 am
So Sheffield Wednesday get a 12 point deduction for next season for over spending...if they had the money that man c have then they could’ve got away with it. fFP is a joke.
Aren't Derby still being investigated for something similar to Sheff Wed?

At this rate promotion to the Premier League could be achieved with a minus points total next season! <whistle>

User avatar
Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Club Member
Whiskey Club Member
Posts: 28769
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:18 am

Re: Man C no longer banned from European Competition for 2 years

Post by Bodacious Benny » Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:04 am

UlversToon wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:45 am
Bodacious Benny wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:38 am
So Sheffield Wednesday get a 12 point deduction for next season for over spending...if they had the money that man c have then they could’ve got away with it. fFP is a joke.
Aren't Derby still being investigated for something similar to Sheff Wed?

At this rate promotion to the Premier League could be achieved with a minus points total next season! <whistle>
Yeah. Some fans are saying that as it was investigated this season why wasn’t the penalty applied this season as it was for Wigan?
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

UlversToon
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster
Posts: 4917
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:52 pm
Location: Cumbria

Re: Man C no longer banned from European Competition for 2 years

Post by UlversToon » Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:18 am

I think the EFL have different rules for going into administration where the points deduction is immediate whereas with what Sheff Wed and Derby have done the deduction is the following season - I might be and probably am wrong though. Does seem rather unfair on Wigan as their owners passed the EFLs' fit and proper persons test not that long ago.

If Sheff Weds' deduction had been applied this season then both they and Wigan would have been relegated with Charlton, who seem to have their own problems regarding ownership, staying up.

User avatar
Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Club Member
Whiskey Club Member
Posts: 28769
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:18 am

Re: Man C no longer banned from European Competition for 2 years

Post by Bodacious Benny » Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:14 pm

Yeah I think that was Wigan’s argument, if the EFL said the owners were fit and proper then how were Wigan supposed to know otherwise.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

User avatar
Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic
Posts: 10096
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:57 am
Location: Toronto

Re: Man C no longer banned from European Competition for 2 years

Post by Remember Colo » Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:07 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:38 am
So Sheffield Wednesday get a 12 point deduction for next season for over spending...if they had the money that man c have then they could’ve got away with it. fFP is a joke.
Isn't Wednesday's punishment completely unrelated to UEFA's FFP program? And instead is related to EFL rules?

FFP has annoyed me, but I feel like people keep conflating its motivations. If City overspend, their Sheik continues to pump in more money, when lower league clubs overspend, they typically end up in bankruptcy and at risk of going under. Now I think it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy, and the points penalties just hurt them further, but the penalties are meant to scare them away from putting their own clubs at risk with their spending. Is it working? Clearly not though.

UlversToon
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster
Posts: 4917
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:52 pm
Location: Cumbria

Re: Man C no longer banned from European Competition for 2 years

Post by UlversToon » Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:53 pm

Wigan, unsurprisingly, have lost their appeal against the points deduction.

Post Reply